Sunday, March 22, 2020

Lighting Candles



A video of Colette and Jack the dog in Ireland, it captures how the natural world looks at this time and the bird song will gently flow through your head.  Do I believe in the Great Mother Earth, Gaia, call her what you will.  The answer must be if you have to have a belief this is as good as anything. Colette has many videos online, her voice is soothing as she muses through her life.

I see our 'all boomers must die' advocate has spoken again, copy and paste is for those who can't form words in their own heads and today he/she is dismissed for lack of originality.

Big surprise this morning a wood pecker was hanging from the peanut holder, I had heard him yesterday evening tapping away.  The birds are so busy, crows, rooks and jackdaws flying around with twigs busily nest building.

We are in a state of flux, not just you and me, but the whole caboodle of the world and last night I worried about my son. Type 1 diabetic, he is healthy, slim and eats properly but did I ever think that there would not be enough food for him, or even insulin, though I do believe insulin has been stockpiled.

Maps: They give great pleasure as you trace the contours of the land, the rivers meandering down to the sea.  Though not so far from here we have the River Derwent which flows inwards.  There is a village you pass through to go to Malton, it is called Great Barugh, pronounced would you believe it Great Bath.  It sits on top of a  hill and there is a Little Barugh as well, there is a Roman camp site situated somewhere in the fields.  I suspect it would have been the midway halt camp between Malton and Cawthorne Camps.

The name "Barugh" means 'rise of the land' which has its origins in Anglo-Saxon. The name was first recorded as Berg and Berch in 1086 and comes from Old English beorg 'hill.


You can see the River Dove (dark river) which I visited at Farndale, joining our river Seven.
Another intriguingly named river is the Riccal, here instead of A/S naming we have the Norman name establishing ownership.

"The name originates in the fourteenth century as Ricolvegraines means Rye Calf, where Calf is a small island near a larger one. This describes the way the river, and those nearby, form islands as their nature changes due to meandering.

And to trace its history further,

Cowhouse Beck and Bonfield Gill meet at the end of Lund Ridge at Coning's Birks in Hag Wood to form the Riccal. The river meanders south and south-east through woodland, passing the villages of Carlton and Pockley. It emerges into open countryside to the east of Helmsley and passes under the A170 and continues south towards Harome. Here it turns east south-east to join the River Rye at High Waterholmes in Ryedale just a half mile from the confluence of the River Rye and River Dove.

Such names seem far away from the computer jargon I meet on this machine as I type.  This other world was wedded to farming in the past, in the low lying  Vale of Pickering, where Carr, another word you will meet round here, means a place of bog or scrub, this is the place where the rivers off the moors drain their waters.

Lighting candles which I do most Sundays.  For it is what Paul did, and burning incense.  He would also strike the little bowl in the library room three times as well.  So keep strong everyone and take care.



12 comments:

  1. Lovely post Thelma - cheered me up no end on this grey morning - still haar off the North Sea as far inland as here in The Dales. I have just lit a candle for the farmer - today is the actual date of his death three years ago. Remembered with love today and every day as I always put onhis In Memoriam in our local Darlington and Stockton Times. Have a good Mothering Sunday - incarcerated we may be but not downhearted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it is sunny, and they are planting trees in the village. Harriet from the pub menu has just come in, she is doing take away and freeze as well, her lasagne is delicious. So thoughts to the farmer on this day and to happy memories. X

      Delete
  2. What a lovely video to start the day. I'm just going to go off and spend some time exploring her world! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. She potters around her little estate of woods happily. When you live in solitary isolation the best person to talk to is oneself and then through technology the world.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post. I used to follow that blog, not sure why I stopped.

    I love maps, have the local ones right by my chair. If someone had told me there were jobs that involved working with maps then perhaps I would have stayed on at school and done A levels, gone to uni and worked for the OS. BUT then I wouldn't have met Colin and life would have been so different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The BUT tells it all, just like the word IF. But you chose, or maybe it chose you, the life you have with all its ups and downs. Maps are fascinating, having done archaeology the one thing it teaches you is stratification. The layers as you dig down through history and so it is with maps, a model of the landscape. I find geology maps difficult though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the video and Daisy Cat and I enjoyed the chirping of the birds.

    I am also very worried about my children.

    Buds are on the on the trees and some early ones are blooming. We are not as green as you but that will probably come this week. I am thankful for all the beauty that Mother Nature gives us, especially this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colette is a very peaceful person. It is such a beautiful time of year, just been planting some trees with a group of people from the village on a piece of land, so something useful has been done today. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely rituals. I am not a ritual person, but I can see how this brings hope and peace to one's soul while waiting for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is in small rituals, not necessarily religious, that quietens the mind and gives peace Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have watched that video it is rather calming isn't it. We need these little oases of calm at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quietly calming though of course most of us don't have three acres to wander round in.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!