Thursday, March 5, 2020

Thursday 5th March



The day has dawned, frost and mist, a beautiful combination. Visits from friends yesterday both morning and afternoon and the village lies quietly.  Except for the birds, hey its spring they are telling each other as they bicker over nest sites, steal from others, the copse is getting very noisy.  Henry the pheasant struts his stuff as he walks through the church yard.

Below is a video (37 minutes) of the Coronavirus in Beijing, taken by a French journalist.  Such efficiency by the state, I am not sure what to make of it all, empty streets, controllers everywhere, status cards issued in different colours but the people are cared for, at least in the video.

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/095527-000-A/coronavirus-the-beijing-quarantine-diaries/?xtor=EREC-19


8 comments:

  1. I didn't watch all the video but most of it. Such controls will never work in Great Britain. The video made me think it might be better to shed the masks and the hand washing and the school closures and just carry on normally with life. If we get it we get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apart from the fascinating facts of another country, communist inclined, I found it a bit frightening and yes it could never work here. Herding kittens come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will watch the video after I do some chores. These times get more frightening by the day. This virus is a very bad one and most countries are not prepared.

    I saw daffodils the other day. They are a month early here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The virus itself seems to have a great spread, not talking here about transmission but how ill people become. Children do not seem affected by it. The daffodils are already out here, the snowdrops dying off and the crocuses short lived of course but spring is definitely here.

      Delete
  4. I just try to wash my hands frequently, keep away from getting too close to folk and try to carry on as normal otherwise. My son is more worried - working as he does in a boarding school and having me at 87 and an invalid wife with asthma as well as other complaints - but is doing all he can. My grandson who lives and works in China says that everything is well-organised there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather is beautiful today, just had another visit from a friend, who has problems with her chest and she is not going to travel around or go to the gardening club next week. I should take care Pat, try to avoid public places for a while, but there again has it come up North?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fascinating video not least as it shows life in Beijing something that is so hard for any of us to image living as we do in the UK. Weirdly I couldn't get out of my mind the fact that they had their water delivered in those huge plastic bottles which were each wrapped in a plastic bag, I found that more depressing than the rest of the video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes all that plastic just for water was depressing, but I suspect their water is polluted by the industrial nature of China. It was a very good view of the city, and sadly the consequences of a strict government that has so many of its citizens reporting on each other.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!