Monday, March 30, 2020

Monday 30th March


Cat Tales


I have been busy cooking, and answering messages on my phone, which seems to have gone AWOL over the weekend.  It is nice to know people are thinking about you.  My daughter has decided to clean all her kitchen cupboards, whilst my ex sister-in-law in Switzerland is rejoicing in the fact that the whole world has now joined her in self-isolation.  She has been ill for years and of course suffers with immune deficiency.  Marc, her son, runs a Sushi firm, which started from nothing and now makes a tidy sum. He has had some adventures over the years, starting with the Lausanne Festivals where he sold food, to a terrible accident in which he broke so many bones, to now looking after his family and getting their food in this time of crisis.  My daughter said he is taking on the role of his grandfather, Conrad, and there is something very pleasing in that.

I do not like Sushi, Paul loved it but it was difficult to get in Pickering.  I remember with one of his clients we went to a top sushi restaurant in London, and I obediently ate some raw fish, it wasn't bad but goes against the grain of my nature.  Cultures are different of course, I would have loved with Paul to have gone round the Swiss factory.  The funny thing is Switzerland is landlocked and the only fish you see are the ones in fish tanks outside restaurants. Karen's grandpa wrote a poem about fillet de perche/fish and chips which always makes me laugh.

Lucy got into the Japanese cupboard and found a Xmas cracker, which she chewed up, luckily it did not go bang, but there were marbles in it, which reminded me of school games out in the playground.  I always liked 'Jacks' tossing them in the air and then catching them on the back of your hand.  Looking it up and they were called 'knucklebones', from a sheep's bones.  It seems so strange now, children spend time with handheld game machines, whilst people of my age, spent hours throwing a ball against the wall in weird and wonderful games, skipping and chanting, and marbles and jacks. I suspect today's children will grow up more quick brained than us!

Old blog

15 comments:

  1. Absolutely right about children and quicker brains I think Thelma. Also I agree with you about sushi - can't bear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely I was born into era when spaghetti was a new food, but now we eat everything from every corner of the world.

      Delete
  2. I love sushi but lived in Asia for a few years. I also tend to just like food and will eat ALMOST anything once. But it does need to be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never eat octopus, this stems from childhood on holiday in Spain and watching them swim in the sea and then having them on my plate. Mostly vegetarian always through my life. I don't like the fact that something has to die for me to eat.

      Delete
  3. I have never eaten sushi, being vegetarian it will never be on my menu. Skipping, chanting, marbles and jacks - wonderful - all the games I played as a child, I am reminded of school playtimes......

    Love your pictures, I am guessing that is what they call memes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A meme is a rather complicated thought, I picked them up from social media because they made me laugh. My little feral kitten is starting to tame down, though not with me, but plays with the hens in the evening.

      Delete
  4. Most children of your era and mine didn't need--or expect--constant entertainment. We exercised our imaginations, found things to do. Sadly, children today go on a road trip with some sort of device providing a video to keep them occupied. A strange sort of dependency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trips in childhood in the back of the car feeling slightly sick;) My brother and I would invent games, white horses, red haired women and a fair amount of squabbling.

      Delete
  5. I have never tried sushi. I'm a fairly adventurous eater, but it's never really appealed for some reason. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold rice is another part that doesn't appeal either Aril.

      Delete
  6. My son-in-law became fond of sushi, living in Japan for some time. He taught his children to like it too. I could never even try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an acquired taste Joanne, and obviously needs complete freshness, haven't told the story of the blow fish either, which can kill you if you eat the wrong part.

      Delete
  7. There was a grate in a slight hollow in the corner of our East Riding primary school playground. That is where we played marbles. Some of us had ball bearings in our collections but I liked the "glass alleys" best of all. I wonder why marbles never became an Olympic sport and why "Match of the Day" never features marbles matches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the ball bearings, more loved by boys than girls, marbles always were more beautiful. You needed a decent piece of tarmac to play marbles on, cold playgrounds yuck....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cat pictures are hilarious. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!