Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunday


I was going to write in my usual foolish way about eggs.  My two bantams are well into spring laying and I often find myself wondering what to make with them.  Today 'eggy bread' and it brought back the memory of the breakfast at the inn in Solva.  Eggy bread with fried bacon and a small pot of honey.  It was delicious.  Then I thought I will go and find the photos for Solva, stopping on the way at Middle Mill for the looms for Joanne to see.  These are old photos and they have much improved over the years, but it is where a fascination with looms first set up in my heart.   Solva Woollen Mill




I have two external hard drives and as I thumbed through the latest, tears of course, I came across Paul's photos which had been put on the drive.  There amongst the folders I found a whole sequence of work he had done on a client's scroll, which I had patiently photographed for him. Maybe next week I shall gather some of the photographs together but for now the sadness creeps in.  He was totally bored with his work towards the end and was pleased to retire from it.
There was one funny story to be told from this era though.  One day two men arrived in a taxi from London,  Cockney from head to toe.  Paul looked at them horrified, 'theyr'e flippin gangsters' he told me.  They had brought a huge screen in a dilapidated condition, and he wasn't going to do it but was unnerved as to how to say it.  Luckily they took it with humour.  Funnily enough the screen relates to eggs because it had a rather nice cockerel featured!





Heard this this morning, very cheerful ;)

10 comments:

  1. I love Noah and the Whale, great song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can all do with a bit of 'cheerful' can't we? Yes, finding things which relate to our loved one is always painful for me too but when the sadness wears off a bit there is comfort to be had there. Keep safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right Pat, my two drives are filled with stuff and it just needs sorting .................neatly.

      Delete
  3. You are into archaeological matters and now you are doing archaeology on computer hard drives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry the slides made you sad, seeing your husband. But what a treasure; I love seeing old, old equipment. Modern equipment is not much more, except vacuum systems keep up the dust and the shuttles are streams of air! The first two looms have double weave. I love that the new work on the first loom is protected by an old bit of weaving thrown over. I cannot tell what the last loom is up to, but oh, the beauty of that warp! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked the photos, it was originally a water mill, it still has the wheel intact. A young couple bought it and upgraded the looms, it looks very dusty and old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently noted the 10th anniversary of our move to Kentucky by reading through my blog posts from that time. A walk down 'memory lane' is never a wholly comfortable journey.
    Fresh eggs are a wonder and I should think especially from one's own flock of hens. We were gifted some last week [eggs, not hens] and sent a loaf of home made bread in return.
    Small homely happenings keep us grounded, a good thing just now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bantam eggs are small but perfect, good trading homemade bread for eggs.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!