Thursday, March 19, 2020

Thursday 19th March

Gird up your loins!

It is 8 o clock, just come back from an early weekly shop in the Co-Op, vegetables and fruit there are plenty of.  But shelves are starting to empty on other stuff.  But not too worry there is still food in the warehouses.  I was more worried that I did not have any carrots, and dog food.
The village has now been made aware of what there is available, Harriet at the pub will run a takeaway service, of either hot or cold food.  I think this pulling together will happen in most of the country. An email from our parish council, or Joe ;)

"As we all know, the current Coronavirus is having a tremendous impact on all parts of our society. We are all aware of the current restrictions and the potential of further recommendations from Government as we face a very difficult situation over the coming months. I just wanted to say that it is so important that we continue to look after each other during this difficult time. It is therefore important if anyone within our community requires help that we can organise to support them. This includes; 1. Collection of medicines 2. Collection of groceries 3. Any other support needs. I am sure that many of us within the community would be prepared to help and so I will circulate a list of volunteers over the next 48 hours. If you need help or can offer support, please contact me."

The world turned upside down by something so minute we can't see it, talk of closing down London may be the next thing on the list, circumstances are changing all the time.  My neighbour over the road, talking to him yesterday, about his wife who has been suffering from cancer for a long time.  He doesn't know whether to take her to hospital or not for the next round of chemotherapy.  These are the problems people face. 

There is the bad news and the good news, the other day I said listen to the three wise men, those who watch the 5.0. clock pronouncements from our illustrious leader and scientific advisers.  Well that was slightly tongue in cheek, it did occur to me that we should have different shades of words to describe what we are saying, our sarcastic/ironic tones are often difficult to express by the written word.  But Johnson is the only front line spokesman at the moment and we have to heed them.



12 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to think we should just shut everything down for a month which would hopefully get rid of it, like in Wuhan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that we have to close down for a longer period than that, it is all so up in the air at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your community is rallying to the cause. Like Tasker, I think a month's shut-down would be a good way forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the smaller communities have more resources, the towns will be a bit of a worry.

      Delete
  3. you boomers are shutting down the entire economy because you're afraid of a flu. Seriously, can you boomers kill yourselves? You are the most selfish generation to ever exist. You don't give a shit about climate change, why should we young people give a shit if you get sick and die of some virus? I HOPE the virus gets much stronger and kills you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweetheart, not going to delete you because I think you need to grow up and behave responsibly! By the way did you ever do history at school, knuckle down and read.;)

      Delete
  4. I love the way people are rallying round and setting up numbers to ring for help in collecting prescriptions, food and the like. It has brought out the best in so many people. I see there are no new cases reported today in China for the first time - surely a heartening piece of news for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no, it won't actually get rid of it in the other countries where the virus is playing boomerang. But strict measures will keep it at bay.

      Delete
  5. I went to do my weekly shop today and came home with half of what I hoped for. There was not a single piece of fresh fruit apart from the bag of lemons I managed to get into my trolley and very little in the way of vegetables. I am so glad that my fruit and veg is delivered to the door through a box scheme otherwise we would be having some interesting meals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were talking about the boxed vegetables this morning, Riverford in Devon. How there was an unexpected surge in orders which they were unable to fulfil. I think when some sort of law and order is restored to the supermarkets, we may get what we need, which in a country of plenty is more than other poorer countries get.

      Delete
  6. We have Trump to listen to and I don’t think that he knows the meaning of truth.

    There have been many kind incidences in the past few weeks. Crisis brings out the best in people. This is more than a crisis, though, and those who volunteer are very brave people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems America is just entering the bad time, led by an idiot unfortunately. I have hope that there are sensible people around him as well, who will redress the damage he causes every time he opens his mouth. But as you say, there are many good and kind people around as well. We need faith in humankind.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!