Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Tuesday 3rd March

"God I can't keep my feathers straight in this wind."  The funeral horses up at St.Mary, Whitby.  They get boxed up so they don't have to climb the steep hill, in the olden days it was donkeys of course who took the dead to the church along the coffin way, 


Gosh we live in exciting times.  The supermarket delivery vans dash by on the road, the fear is setting in already, stay fortress like in your own homes and don't meet the public.  Well I shall have to go out today, if only to get Lucy's special food, Harrington's cooked meals. Then of course fresh vegetables and fruit, the supermarkets are already gearing themselves for the basic supplies to be on the shelves rather than the fancy stuff according to the Guardian this morning.
I have had a visit from my daughter, long awaited but the flooding in her home town has kept her away.  She is like a dose of sunshine through the house, none stop chatter as we cover every subject under the sun.
She works in Manchester as the manager of an animal charity shop, loves her job but has trouble with the trains.  All the new trains up North do not have enough drivers to drive them.  Yes I know, why the hell could they not have trained them at the same time as the trains were rolling off the assembly lines.  This is England. She tells of people rushing from one side of the station to the other as trains are changed, as scarce drivers lope across from one train to another   and you have to loop round on different trains to get to your destination.
We discussed the homelessness that you find on the streets of Manchester which she sees every morning.  There is nothing much more the ordinary people can do she says it is up to the government to build more accommodation, plenty of kitchen places going round feeding the homeless, people giving money, clothes such as scarves and gloves, and the medics tending to those who have collapsed because of 'spice' the drug in fashion. The hostels are scary places for some, drunken fighting, drug abuse and it is better to sleep out on the pavement.  Patel we will never have an ideal society, so accept the basic humanity of all those people in the country who help others, not forgetting the Sikhs and Muslims whose philosophy/religion of helping others is also out there feeding those that live on the streets.
Yesterday, a clip of news showed a very large carrot field with all the carrots ruined by the flooding, the farmer dug one up, snapped it in two and it was all squelchy inside.  Several hundred thousands pounds worth of carrots rotten, the question is? Is monoculture the wisest thing in the midst of climate chaos?  To think the humble carrot has become a victim ;)




There is a little story to be told of these happier photos.  Note my daughter is wearing scruffy jeans, for which she paid £90 in their scruffyiness of slits and marks.  Paul horrified at this, but a couple of years later walked round in his worn jeans saying that they were an expensive purchase and 'designer' jeans.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad your daughter's visit cheered you up so, but sorry she was affected by the recent flooding. I have long thought HS2 a complete and utter waste of money (which could be used to help the homeless, build more hospitals, train more hospital staff and indeed, more train drivers by the sound of things.)

    I can never understand why people will spend goodmoney to buy jeans which are already wrecked. The fashion industry never fails to amaze me how it dupes people. (With apologies to your daughter, but I haven't followed fashion for many a long year and the industry has such a dreadful affect on our planet).

    Stocking up on the obvious here so we don't have to go out too much, as with my chronic asthma I would be one of the 1% mortalities if I got Coronavirus . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Jennie, It was quite a time ago with those Jeans, she tends to buy from charity shops now, and like you sells on Ebay, mostly designer clothes. Well unfortunately HS2 seems to be on the cards as a distraction now, though I notice the road and tunnel to bypass Stonehenge has been dropped.
      It must be worrying for you with your asthma and illness this new threat but stay safe at home and it should pass you by in your Welsh fastness...

      Delete
  2. I always keep a fairly well stocked store cupboard so not too worried. If corona carries me off - jusy too bad - at 87 something has to and my life up to my farmer dying has been perfect.

    Love your two photographs of happy times. Sometimes I can look at mine, sometimes I can't - but that doesn't mean I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always optimistic Pat, so keep on doing what you do best. The photos do make me sad as well but all the while I am trying to come to terms with loss and reminding myself of an energetic family and happier times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way your daughter poses - she is like a media star but your older grandson looks furtive and self-conscious like many teenage boys. Is he growing out of that? I wonder how old he is now?

    On coronavirus, I am waiting to spot someone wearing a face mask. Then I will know for sure that The Chinese Flu is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should have pointed that out about the eldest, it could well be to do with the ex who is taking the photos, he doesn't want to look at him.
    Well no masks in Pickering it has passed them by, when I apologised for my large load of shopping to the till girl, she said well it is at Easter the real shopping takes place. I am only just going out in public, now that my two black eyes are receding, though the teller at the bank looked at me very suspiciously yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had worn sunglasses they might have thought you were a Russian spy. I understand you get a lot of spies in Pickering. Even more than in Kirkbymoorside.

      Delete
    2. It is the gossipers who reign in these small towns.

      Delete
  6. Our summer will come soon enough with its hurricanes, tornadoes and excessive heat. NOT looking forward to summers, the way I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds terrible Tabor, at least our temperate climate gives us a different type of weather in summer.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!