Tuesday, March 23, 2021

23rd March 2021

Today is a day of retrospection,  an anniversary in which we remember the people who have died from that wretched virus.  Notice in the Guardian that there is already a book about it.  Written by two journalists from The Times, so it has some pedigree but of course it is quite to soon  to look back and judge the state.  Perhaps we should be judging our way of governing the country.  One thing I find to praise, and who doesn't, is the selflessness of doctors, nurses and workers in the country who have worked through this pandemic.  We owe a duty of responsibility to them to care for their welfare (and wages).

This morning, having got up early to bake bread and make soup I can see the fencing going up.  The men started yesterday, they have machinery to knock the posts in and already the wire gleams in the sun.  Got a bit worried yesterday, as they cut branches off the large multiple stems of the old hawthorn but went out and spoke to them.  He seemed glad to see me and reassured that he was not cutting my old friend down.  At least it has shut the crows up in their eyries which they have been renewing they are absent and I can now listen to the real dawn chorus without their horrible croaking.

It struck me this morning that most of my food is prepared by me.  Baking bread, tea bread with coffee and soup for lunch.  Lucy shares it all, my slimming diet I call her, for she eats my toast, half my tea bread slice and likes a small bowl of soup. Her afternoon meals is a bowlful of noodles. Eaten just like the romantic meal of the 'Lady and the Tramp' when they shared a bowlful of spaghetti, though I don't share her noodles but feed them with a fork.

Back to sorting, whenever I think my life has been quiet, sorting through correspondence on parts of my life remind me that I was always doing something at some stage.  




Failures of State - Arbuthnott and Calvert

6 comments:

  1. The trouble with sorting I find is that every third item or so brings back memories which stop me in my tracks to reminisce, or encourage me to sort for something special or persuade me that I can't possibly part with that particular thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be too ruthless sometimes, but it is a good exercise to reduce the baggage of life, and of course not leave too much behind for the family to sort.

      Delete
  2. I plan on sorting in the kitchen today as I have a charity group coming in a couple of weeks to pick up my donations. Everything gets boxed or bagged and placed on the front porch on the day their truck comes around to pick it up. It feels good to clean out and I have many things that I don't use at all anymore.
    I especially enjoyed your paragraph about sharing your meals with Lucy. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Lucy's poison taster I think Ellen. She does have problems eating, I think her minor strokes left her lopsided but she loves her food. I wish the charities would come and collect some of my stuff but things are starting to rationalise in my head as to what to get rid off.

      Delete
  3. Today I had a medical test for which I could not eat four hours beforehand. So I got up early to have done chores and breakfasted before 9 to have the test at 1. Then at 2 I had an appointment to deliver work to the gallery, no chance to go home for lunch. So I stopped for coffee and a bagel. I can still taste them and it's seven tonight. I swear all commercial food is made of petroleum byproducts. So good to be home and eating food for supper that I prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we can't eat out in this country Joanne, except by takeaway, but I know what you mean. Bought some white rolls from the bakery the other day, puffs of air with absolutely no taste. Home cooking with plenty of vegetables to hand is the answer...

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!