Tuesday, September 12, 2023

12th September 2023

Well not being upstaged by blogger, I shall try once more.  It was photographs I had put on from the past it was North Yorkshire the fabulously named Murk Mire Moor.  A moor that lies in North Yorks, and with standing stones along the narrow lane that bisects the moor.  Now whether they are prehistoric or in fact prehistoric stones moved to lead the traveller through the snow over the moors is hard to say but they follow the single lane.

It is probably one of my most favourite places on this Earth, the sight of rolling purple heather, though dark brown when it has died off, the hill down to the beck and the rowan trees that line the beck.  Lucy always trying to get in the beck and Paul never letting her (she would wet his precious car). 

Here I had heard the curlew and cuckoo, watched a clutch of baby  grouse scuttle across the lane and wondered about the old stones that had once so it is told been a cottage used as a hostel.

Sheep of course are the main occupants this high up.

Ferns and in the background forestry plantation are part of the moors.

An unmarked or chewed fly agaric.  Considering they are poison, something must eat them.

Though no expert I somehow think this is a Russula mushroom

This is a favourite photo.  The moss and fallen branch capture the moment, Jan Morris's 
"square yard" in which you can capture the history of the place.


click on the photos for a better experience.

Three Howes Barrows | The Heritage Trust (wordpress.com) which is on the moors.


Three Howes Barrows

North Stoke: Mirk Mire Moor stones


12 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous name, Murk Mire Moor. I wonder who and how many got stuck in it to get the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to the side of the tarmaced single lane a Roman road runs which is now under a blanket of grass. But earlier photos taken from the 6os show a stone lined road. So as long as you kept to the road you were unlikely to disappear into a bog.

      Delete
  2. That brings back a lot of memories to me of wandering in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never realised you wandered so far John! I had a better camera then, the one I have now is not very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely memories Thelma. Just a wander in an area you love - the heather, the smells, the Fly Agaric- so pretty and so deadly all in one. Like my post today - down memory lane - a bit painful but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to go back and remember stuff Pat, even though it may hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess that I had a vague idea of what moors were (more or less!), but it stopped me dead in my tracks to read your musings that they were probably created by bronze age people who stripped the land of trees. I'm so curious about that. My parents had photographs of the town they grew up in and it was shocking to see that at the turn of the 20th century, the hills had been completely lumbered off. They were laid bare. Yet 100 years later, they once again covered in forest. Why do you suppose trees never grew back there on the moors?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure of the answer Debby. Trees that grow now are commercial forestry ones, dark green pine. The moor itself is often boggy, rock strewn and lots of moss. I will look it up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On quick inspection, some would say that the Bronze Age got rid of the trees that were at there at the time, others would say it was not true. But Wiki says it is true - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_York_Moors
    But the burning of land to grow crops was carried out on lower land, and as the fertility of the land went quickly, the settlers would move on to fresh ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. Okay, so the soil quality is poor. That is really fascinating to me. Off to read some more. Our trees were not planted as part of a reforestation program, but pondering it last night while I cleaned the kitchen, it occurred to me that the hills were clear cut, but what was left behind was a vast expanse of stumps. It is not uncommon at all for new growth to spring from the stumps of cut down trees. I decided that explained my situation here. If your folk were clearing the land for farming, they were very probably digging out the stumps as well. The things that I learn from blogs! Thanks, Thelma.

      Delete

Love having comments!