Friday, September 15, 2023

15th September 2023

Saint Caedmon's Cross.  Victorian of course.

Well my daughter arrived back yesterday evening. Slightly panicking that no one would open the door.  She rang my phone three times, and I tried to answer it, but even when I press the green sign it never opens up.  Remember the bad old days?* tring-tring in the corner of the landline phone, pick up, say your number, and then you had a conversation.

Pick up my mobile. Password please firstly. I have put facial recognition on it as well but often the little bugger will say 'face not recognised'. As if.

Technology is so wired up! And we are expected to conduct our money transactions on it, for crying in a bucket.... Anyway I let her in, and she had bought Swiss chocolate bars back and had a good time.

I notice some bloggers are off to the land of university learning, something I admire but won't be doing, my brain is saturated as it is, it doesn't want anymore facts and learning curves, it needs REST.

But if I had to go to university, my choice would be old languages.  I have always loved the Saxon(old English) poetry that has come down in various forms.  The following is 'Caedmon's poem.  A poem made by a farm hand at Whitby Abbey, it came to him in the night.  This is the 11th century Saxon below;

Nu we sculan herian / heofonrices Weard,
Metodes mihte / and his modgepone,
weore Wulderfaeder; / swa he wundra gehwaes,
ece Dryhten. / ord onstealde.
He aerest gesceop. / eordan bearnum
heofen to hrofe, / halig Scyppend;
oa middongeard / moneynnes Weard,
ece Dryhten, / aefter teodefirum foldan, / frea aelmihtig.  

English translation: Although to be honest the above is English as well.

Praise now to the keeper of the kingdom of heaven,
the power of the creator, the profound mind
of the glorious father, who fashioned the beginning
of every wonder, the eternal lord.
For the children of men he made first
heaven as a roof, the holy creator.
Then the lord of mankind the everlasting shepherd,
ordained in the midst as a dwelling place,
almighty lord, the earth for men.

This 7th century Christian poem, said to be the first, may of course be one of the stories that Whitby Abbey manufactured to bring in the pilgrims.  It is also said, that the Abbess  Hilda, threw the snakes over the side of the cliff.  But of course weren't snakes but the ammonites frozen in time in the rock face of the cliffs.



7 comments:

  1. I tried to do an A level aged 24 and even that was too late for my brain to remember anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shouldn't have given up at the first hurdle Sue.

      Delete
  2. I find it impossible to match up the Saxon with the English. Sometimes I feel I might just as well be talking in Saxon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Tasker but prefer to talk in English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit that I like the word "modgepone", whatever it means in Saxon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have left the Saxon dictionary book behind but if you were to follow the verse literally, it would seem to mean "the profound mind" which is rather a good way of explaining one's mind John.

      Delete
  5. Well Tasker and Pat if you listened to the words spoken you would also love the language.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!