Friday, September 22, 2023

Willowed

 Dark and light, equal parts

at the time of Mabon

Fire and earth together

balance, harmony, security

these things shall be mine.

I have no idea where that little saying comes from, but as the year turns we should acknowledge not only the season but the turning of the world as well.

Paganism, of which I have written a lot about, has sort of sneaked in by the backdoor.  People who do not consider themselves Christian take on this new form of worship, but it is interpreted in many different ways.

The rather incongruous 'offerings' at Swallowhead spring which meets the River Kennet at this junction

The old stones know this only too well, as people solemnly gather at their circles, sometimes to watch the sunrise or sunset. It is thought that many stones have a relationship within the landscape but with also tracing the movement of the sun through the skies and the year.  Wander round the country as I once did and you will also find 'offerings' at wells.

The Old willow tree

Not being a social animal I have never quite understood the need to worship anything, rather I would remain calm within the bounds of beauty the Earth shows to us.  The infinitely exquisite life that nature presents to us.

River Kennet serenely untroubled by worship

Tolkien saw Old Man Willow as a troublesome creature, able to grab you in  those twining branches of his.  A tree Ent who had turned into a malign cruel tree spirit.  Do those who leave their offerings at the old willow tree in Avebury think of this, or is the magical happening of an underground stream joining a larger river, a bit like Mother Earth welcoming her child.  See what nonsense you can pluck out of the air!

Well Rishi Sunak, thanks for being a spokesman for the Conservative Party and selling us once more down the river of (what words to use??)

I dismiss greed and corruption, though they are definitely there. But perhaps a shallow selfish need to appeal to the readers of the Daily Mail is it? Climate change is happening, whether by fire or water in other parts of the world.  We have sailed through one more year safely, our harvests safe in store but millions haven't, perhaps we should think of them as well?

I shall light a candle or two because candlelight is a beautiful thing in the dark.  A rather perilous thing to do with Mad Mollie's zooming round the room.

Blogs on Druidism:

Notes;

Earlier notes


10 comments:

  1. Such an interesting post Thelma - along the same line of thinking as me. I thought the Solstice was on the 21st but this morning the weatherman said the 23rd - odd - a bit like the way they have started saying the seasons change on the first of the month. Can't be bothered to look into it - like you I just marvel at the sheer beauty of this world we live in (here at any rate - but dire in some places like Libya and Morocco at present although they have largely disappeared from the 'News'. At present my Michaelmas Daisies are shouting out to be recognised in my garden - and that's enough for me - it's Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Michelmas Daisies are playing by their timing which is the beginning of Autumn, although I believe they are not fungal resistant, don't like the damp of Autumn like us...

      Delete
  2. Well, that's what the weather people say, but is it the solstice today? According to the Met Office sunrise today is at 06:46 and sunset at 18:59. We have to wait till Monday night when the sun goes down at 18:52 and on Tuesday it rises at 06:52. I'm baffled

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ritual and ceremony John, except the day won't play fair;) and the marking of the festival can happen either side of the 21st. Have you never seen the photo of the stones being moved at Stonehenge?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure what I am anymore. I can only be sure of what I am NOT, which strikes me as peculiar, but I suppose that I am at a reckoning point. I rarely speak of it, because I do not want to cause anyone else to question their own faith. I think the questions should be a result of what it inside you, not some nattering nancy who's full of questions. But I read your post, and Sue's post, and they both resonated. I sit here in the dark wondering where I am being led.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well perhaps my next blog explains when it goes back to other blogs, how irrational belief can be Debby. But obviously the human race needs to believe in something, so it is your choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have a need to recognize something larger than ourselves, a force more powerful than ourselves. Seeing ourselves as the biggest, most important thing has led this world down a very wrong path, don't you think? Recognizing the changing of seasons, the turning of the world, the passing of the days, the knowledge that just as the flowers come and go, so shall we...paying our respects to those simple truths brings about a humility in ourselves that could do this poor weary world a great deal of good, more good than can be done at the hands of men who see themselves as holding the power.

      Delete
    2. I think the only answer to that is yes Debby.

      Delete
  6. I try to avoid modern pagans, especially the ones who tie rags to trees. We will be hearing a lot more from Sunak over the coming weeks, as he takes on the new persona of competent dictator brimming with vote-catching ideas about how to retain his job and do as much damage to the country as he can before he is booted out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is about dressing up Tom, sort of taking on another character. There are some weirdos at Stonehenge and probably Avebury. Sunak is last in the list of a line of incompetent prime ministers. What did they used to say? 'All mouth and no trousers' At some stage we have to actually look at the way this country is governed and make drastic changes!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!