Sunday, September 3, 2023

Light relief

 The Ballad of Lidl and Aldi.  As I only shop at Lidl, it strikes home this ballad.  I may walk down the central aisles full of bric-brac to go back for something but I never linger amongst the things on offer.  Lidl idea of selling off surplus foreign food appeals to me, though to be honest I have never found anything I want to buy. 

The other day I was looking for proper English courgettes mine were still in the act of producing, but none were to be found and I don't like the large dark green Spanish at this time of summer.  'Racist granny' my granddaughter called me, nope I said just like the sweeter small homegrown courgette and I do not belong to The British National Party... With todays youngsters one can hardly open one's mouth without being an 'ist' of some description.

The courgettes were to go with my homegrown tomatoes, a free packet, can't remember the name but they are definitely beefsteak, enormous, deeply carved it makes the job of skinning them difficult but they are delicious and sweet.

Two catalogues arrived yesterday, one was a seed one, you know you are definitely going into Autumn when these catalogues arrive.  Then there was the 'Seasalt' one, with rather nice stuff, green being a predominant colour.  Don't need any new clothes but I enjoyed the catalogue.

So the morale of the ballad is don't send your husband or partner into shop for food into either of these two stores.




8 comments:

  1. Ha-ha! That song was great. Thanks for sharing it. I am a Lidlian myself but I remain annoyed that to access "Lidl Plus"you need a mobile phone! It is a kind of insidious discrimination. I am not the only one without a mobile phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I have a phone, there are no apps on it. It would mean me having to change my glasses in Lidl, which would take up time. Also my phone has the habit of saying it doesn't recognise my face which infurates me.

      Delete
  2. I also prefer Lidl. Definitely a nice friendly atmosphere in our local one. I have a Waitrose delivery once a week and visit Lidl for the things they do better than Waitrose. Best croissants, bakery and wine. Janx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waitrose is a bit rare on the ground in the North, though I am sure the big Northern cities have outposts. As you say their bakery is superb, though walking past their doughnuts is difficult!

      Delete
  3. I do not have a Lidl, but am definately a fan of Aldi. I know the attraction of the middle aisle, and regularly argue myself out of purchases there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you manage not to buy Debby. It just fills up a house with things that work for a certain amount of time and then give up the ghost. My granddaughter came back with two sharp knives from there the other day - guess who managed to cut myself....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! The Sea Salt Catalogue. I don't need any new clothes but that catalogue is so persuasive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some nice stuff in there, wasn't too keen on the last catalogue Pat.

      Delete

Love having comments!