Wednesday, September 20, 2023

20th September 2023


Antique print but not of a flower clock


 The Flower Clock an idea of Carl Linnaeus.

Things that grab your interest as you float by articles on the internet and flower clocks was just one of them yesterday.  It was Carl Linnaeus (1707 to 1778).  Now the logical mind will pick holes in the theory.  Latitude for one, flowers open differently in different parts of the world.  But there in Upssala in Sweden he tried it out, not by planting a flower clock but noting the timing of when flowers opened.  I remember watching an evening primrose unfurl (yes it was evening).  Slightly amazed I watched as it first appeared to open and then shrivel up on itself and then unfurled completely with a flourish.  Of course in this time of climate change flowers will open earlier in the year but will they keep time with the clock I wonder?

Yesterday a tune came on Radio 3, 'Oh what a beautiful morning, Oh what a beautiful day', the corn is high as an elephant's eye' and it reminded me of childhood and of singing this song with my then brother.  The other song we used to sing was She'll becoming round the mountain when she comes" we would sing with great gusto! and she was probably wearing pink pajamas.

Funnily enough my daughter and Lillie went to see 'Annie' at the Opera House, Manchester last night.  Which they both enjoyed, tickets were free as Tom's partner does the PR there.  I did not go  I cannot sit still in theatres or cinemas for more than two hours and facing Manchester is scary.  Still a country girl at heart.

7 comments:

  1. They have a flower clock at the Cambridge University Botanic Garden. I suppose it works, though I've never waited all day to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably a real clock, the flowers don't tell the time John....

      Delete
  2. I find sitting still for a long time difficult - I think we have got out of practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably Pat, and of course it is not good to sit for several hours very still and quiet.

      Delete
  3. My friend had a primrose, and often urged me to stay late enough to watch it open and close in the evening. I did sometimes, though it made the hour drive home less pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still it is not often you get to the flowering of a plant Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of such a clock. It is an intriguing idea though!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!