Thursday, September 7, 2023

7th September 2023 - Jarman

 I have made myself write something every second day.  So where do I start today?  It might be Derek Jarman's book - Modern Nature, I have been introduced into his seductive description of homosexuality and learn a little more along the way.  But it is with his description of the landscape that I have fallen in love with the man.  His obsession with his garden, the naming of plants all go to a very sensitive soul.  It is sad when such people who can write are taken by the diseases of their time.  AIDS passed through our history and was eventually not exactly cured (if I am right) but kept at bay. It scared people at the time, was looked on by some with the prejudicial hatred that small minded people have.  

But I would recommend his book as a deeply personal, very intimate writing of himself. I might even try his book 'The Last of England'   He should be remembered more.  My first encounter with his work was a short experimental film about Avebury.  All in a process called chroma I think.  Did not like the red exposure of the film and the fuzziness of the scenery.

In his garden he uses silver plants on the poor soil of the beach, it contrast beautifully with white flowers.  He mentions Rue and Southernwood as well, which I also cultivated alongside Wormwood, all silver leaf and a calming presence in the garden.  And who could forget the soft furry Lamb's Ear.

Derek Jarman's house on the Sheerness beach

What else? I hardly look at any television but have started 'The Woman in the Wall' on BBC.  The plot encompasses the Irish misery, of loss of babies in the mother and baby houses, when the strict ruling of the Catholic faith took the babies from single mothers, not so long ago.  In this series it is a nunnery, where the cruelty of the laundry workhouse is explored, where the girls were supposed to work.

Lost my knitting mojo for a couple of days, all because I had hit a problem, then decided to do something different and forget the first bit of knitting and now I am happily knitting. As I always tag on something musical, this piece always stops me mid track - The Armed Man by Karl Jenkins, it has the same affect on me as another composer, who's name escapes me,* but will no doubt be triggered when the two synapses in my brain bump gently against each other!


Derek Jarman


*John Tavernor

8 comments:

  1. I am a great admirer of Derek Jarman and his works. I would love to see his cottage in reality rather than photographs. Shall send for that book as I have not read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also the favourite of Andrew as well, his father is also a gardener but goes for a 'jungle effect'' in his garden. Not sure which book you are going for, Jarman has written many books. But the 'Modern Nature' book is the one to read. It is probably a bit near the knuckle as well Pat;)

      Delete
  2. That certainly is fine music, I've just made a note to listen to the whole work on Spotify later. I don't know much about Derek Jarman, apart from his garden - something else to investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much to see in this world of ours John and learn of course. His music is beautiful, the other composer, John Tavernor, goes in for religious music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have see Derek Jarman's house at Dungeness and it's easy to appreciate why he made his retreat there. It's a fascinating area - almost other-worldly with no protection from storms or gales sweeping over The English Channel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And of course next to the Dungeness Nuclear Power station, which I think made Jarman think a lot about destruction. Whenever you pull up a piece of his work, it is always dramatic and full of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an area of "Shingle" here which I thought about clearing - it's a sort of path to nowhere - but now I'll plant up. Hollyhocks and Aquilegia would both love the environment (as they already grow in the shingle at the front of the house). Plants will be an improvement on aggressive grass anyway.

    I even bought Southernwood yesterday - as a nod to Edward Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes the grays bring calm to a garden Jennie. Also hollyhock seems to love growing in absolutely nothing, I think that is why it sows near to stone walls and old cottage walls. I can remember Rue being banished from the garden by my daughter because of the milky latex it produces from the stem which burns in the sun.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!