Thursday, September 14, 2023

14th September 2023

 What to write?  I have just been listening to Spiegel in Spiegel. Repetitive you might say, but for me the calmest piece of music on this earth, it eases out the frenetic rush of life.  Followed by 'Lost Words' songs and a young girl singing 'Dancing in the Dark' on the streets.  She is joined by a young Italian, who then gives a perfect rendition of the song in Italian.

Well normal weather has resumed, my hands are cold as I type, a little miaow in the corner tells me that Mollie is still alive and I have prepared her windowsill for looking out on the world.

A F/B friend is making her way towards Whitby, through her photos I have seen Pickering and Malton and I can just imagine the crowds at Whitby.  My daughter and Paul did not like Whitby but I did.  It had a vibrancy with the great crush of people and the 101 (exaggeration) fish and chip shops, the smell lingering on the air.

So a few more photos to fill the space

A slice of green marble as a centre pierce

The bridge has been opened to let the taller ships through.  People crowd on either side.

This cliff in Henrietta Street had a fall of soil and rocks.  It moved the shed of the little shop that smoked kippers.

Think this is the 'Jolly Sailor', always full of locals.  Could have been the beer.

Looking back to the other side of Whitby and Grand Hotel


When the cliff collapsed behind Henrietta Street.  A couple of years later further down into Whitby and the same thing happened again.  Six cottages had to be pulled down.


Traditional Whitby Smokehouse at risk from landslides




8 comments:

  1. I loved Whitby when I could climb the steps but haven't been since I was immobile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a fascinating place, if, only for its jumble of cottages Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You reminded me to look at my print of Whitby's Town Hall and marketplace. It's hanging near my piano and I'm always so pleased to see it! I've never been there so I am happy to see your photos so I can imagine what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the building over the lane from the Marketplace. It was always full of of loads of stuff. Wools and knitted jumpers, loom spools and antiques and junk.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Haddock, green marble is a funny choice for a central theme. Black Jet is the most famous material in Whitby. It was used as Victorian funeral jewellery. Also of course there are cliffs with lots of fossils embedded in the rocks along the coastline.

      Delete
  5. Wouldn't 199 fish and chip shops have been cleverer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I have a doggy crush on 101 Dalmatians Tasker. Though you have sparked the thought of another blog.

      Delete

Love having comments!