Friday, September 1, 2023

1st September 2023

 My daughter comes down early this morning and then says I was going to make myself a second cup of tea but I shan't because I will be travelling for a couple of hours. She will be travelling by bus and coach to Manchester, there is another train strike! And so they go on, doctors and consultants strike somewhere in the middle of September.  No one in the family is against the strikes but it is just so that they complicate matters.

But what I shall record today is that the results of the Saxon Prittlewell burial has at last emerged. An early 7th century burial, what was so interesting about it though was that it showed the transition between the pagan religion and the Christian religion, the body seemed to have had two gold crosses placed on the eyes.  Bed burials was carried out by the Saxons, there was an interesting female burial at Loftus also in a bed with  beautiful jewellery buried with her.  You can find information here about the Prittlewell grave.

At the time I made a small replica of what I thought it would be like, I enjoyed messing around with making things, my Roman chair was slightly adrift to the one found but on the whole I enjoyed making my little scene.  Miss my miniature making tools, turning on the lathe and shaping whatever needed.  The problem solving probably kept me sane, and I remember my Roman chair could be folded down as the original one was.





The silver pots are Persian pepper and salt I think.  My first mother-in-law gave them to me and also some small Georgian silver table and chairs which I still have, though in dire need of a polish.

August is like Sunday in the year, so I wonder what September's day will be?

More information

7 comments:

  1. You seem to have tried so many interesting hobbies Thelma. I am envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need work for my hands and some stimulation for my brain Pat. But I enjoyed making stuff. Itds like a garden watching things grow.

      Delete
  2. That is amazing artistry. Surely that would appeal to a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the links! I found the information in each fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot the museum one Joanna, will try to find it. But the fact that it was a burial caught between paganism and Christianity is quite exciting.

      Delete

Love having comments!