Sunday, October 16, 2022

16th October 2022




Whenever you think you are too old to do something, think of Mary Harper at 78 years old sailing across the Atlantic. Thanks to Roaring Water Journal for the essay.

Today is Sunday, so I devote myself to quiet things, a film from the 'Emergence Magazine' about 'The Last Rainforest in England' which happens to be on Dartmoor.

You may not have noticed but I choose my font to go with the words.  Verdana with its wide open space for just normal things, Oswald for its narrowness when I get cross (and small minded?).

There are times when I get a headache, as today, often caused by high bright skies, my body doesn't like being so close to the Universe I think! So after sleeping I have read my Permaculture Magazine and felt glad for all the people in their eccentric worlds doing their thing.  I am comfortable with people who escape the rat race and deliberately live a simple life.

I don't think they are eccentric by the way, they have just shuffled off the narrow minded habit of wanting a lot of money to live off.  They potter through life thinking great thoughts but not exactly getting anywhere.

Everyone is off doing their thing today.  Lillie at the Hippodrome, just a hundred yards from here is rehearsing 'Peter Pan' for showing in the week, we are booked in for the Friday show.  Karen and her intended are in Guildford, she has just sent me a photo of the house dog, a bit like my beloved Lucy but not as pretty. Next Saturday there is a zoom meeting all day (£20 ticket) from the Resurgence people.  Though it is going to be a busy weekend, with Matilda coming down from London, and Tom and Ellie coming for a meal.  Luckily with zoom meetings you can catch them later.

I have tried listening in to Green Party zoom meetings, a bit boring, a screen of faces, often chattering about constitutional things.

Apart from that I have returned to my book on the Co-operative movement around here and how they organised themselves, to be honest nothing much has changed.

As I have read of Emily Bronte on Rachel's blog, went back and found the gloomy Haworth vicarage.  Which is now a museum.






2 comments:

  1. A film on my list that I would like to see (along with The Lost King). The Brontes have fascinated me since the 1970s and Emily in particular was an enigmatic figure. In biographies I have read Willy Weightman was the girls' darling, and who can say if Emily truly fell for him (and took her passion further). She was a very stoical figure and wouldn't even have the Dr called until the afternoon of her death from TB (which had ravaged her family). Suggestions of her "being on the spectrum" have arisen in recent years.

    I have been to the Parsonage Museum twice - once when Tam was in a push-chair and then she took ME a couple of years back. I still hold the memories in my mind, the displays are very evocative of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered the vicarage with the surrounding graveyard as being very bleak and could quite understand Emily's writing. When it is cold the greyness of the houses and the misty grey moors sends the soul to the deepest depth of misery or madly becoming emotional, or on 'the spectrum' which my daughter uses to discuss most of the people she knows ;) god knows where I am on it! I must read an biography on Emily Bronte I think Jennie.

      Delete

      Delete

Love having comments!