Thursday, October 20, 2022

20th October 2022

Ssssh, how many shoes can you hear dropping for the Conservative party?  Chief whip Craig Whittaker is our MP for the Calder Valley, I even had an email yesterday from someone asking me to write to him about the fracking question.  Too late now, the conservatives got their way - party over country - bad move.  And by the way I do believe fracking is dead on the ground, it is an expensive way of getting energy and as for shale mining - yikes..

It is just as calamitous in this household, after a day of old plaster removal up on the attic wall, there is now a fine dust over everything.  We had three young, tall and lanky lads working all yesterday.  Their machinery seemed to set off the smoke alarm system, so it was noisy as well.  But they like my coffee, so fresh ground coffee is the drink of the day.  Also the shelving for the basement is being delivered as well today, which will be our job, down with the spiders in the basement.  Life couldn't get more exciting.


We actually like this surface but totally impractical, so it will be injected and membraned against the damp before plastering.

The cupboard outside my room, the portrait of a lady overlooks all the little wooden herd of  ibex? having fallen over and hopefully those mirrors will not fall off and give us 14 years bad luck



8 comments:

  1. Quick word of advice - don't inject the brickwork. You will regret it. Get someone who knows what they are doing to put a proper putty lime mortar render on it. Your average builder cannot do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I will tell them Tom ;) one has just called the other 'a f****** retard'. Did think to say it was just not 'woke' to use that word but thought better of it. Yorkshire accents are so heavy round it is difficult to understand them ;) :) Panic stations; skip arrived but no plaster. My daughter on a zoom meeting in the sitting room may have the answer. The house is a terrace house, problem of water from chimney stacks on either side. It's raining at the moment, hope the plaster is covered in plastic.

      Delete
  2. Not sure I can cope with Liz Truss's resgnation and your happenings on the same day - hope your house stays upright anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better a resignation sooner rather than later, the conservatives have really snarled up, it will take a long time to undo the damage. The problems with these old houses are many, there is a new roof been put on but leaking chimney stacks need scaffolding - twice so far. The plaster came at last, and all the heavy sacks carried to the top floor and the house still standing Pat ;)

      Delete
  3. Ugh. Plaster dust. We have a couple projects to do, but honestly, I can't bear the thought of all that dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul is trying to keep it down and wiped everything yesterday. But my hair in the shower this morning was really strange!

      Delete
  4. "The variety of regional accents has always intrigued me; even the relatively small area of my native New England has quite a few, some that are lampooned as the 'Boston' way of speaking or 'Down East. Growing up in Vermont's Champlain Valley and with a teacher mother who believed in speaking 'clearly' people have a hard time placing me by my speech. Being fairly familiar with southern accents in general I didn't expect the difficulty in comprehending the dialect of native Kentuckians. For instance, "I wouldn't care to do that," indicates that the speaker would be delighted to do whatever is under discussion."
    This comment from Morning Minion, fished out of the three way option of deletion. Sorry Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, There are many regional accents in Britain, and as I am starting to go a bit deaf, my reaction is 'sorry I did not quite catch that' I could never start coping with American accents either. Mine funnily enough, as I was originally from the Midlands, I had to have elocution lessons which has given me a rather 'posh' accent. Problems with flat 'bath' or drawn out 'bath' send us all into arguments.

      Delete

Love having comments!