Saturday, October 22, 2022

22nd October 2022

I woke up to a very quiet house today about 7ish, thought everyone had deserted me.  But half an hour later Andrew knocked gently and said that my daughter was having a lie-in and he was off back to his flat. A constant alarm ring in Lillie's room and she was also off to her job in Hebden, so my world righted itself.

Last night we all went to the Hippodrome to see Lillie in 'Peter Pan', she had parts in the pirates and boys crowd scenes.  It was good though I missed the second half, it was terribly crowded and we had all nipped home for the loo, so I decided to  stay at home.

The Hippodrome, a very stately theatre, is run as a community vehicle, and seems to have had packed audiences the five nights the musical has been running.  We sat up in the circle behind a silver chained man, I said it was not the mayor, and Lillie came running in this morning and said he was the man from Noda - National Operatic and Dramatic Association come to see the show. Excitement all round, though I should have thought the theatre paid for itself with the tickets and full house.

The audience was very enthusiastic and supportive, so the man from NODA must have been impressed - chuckle.  The singing was very loud but the old crocodile could have done justice as a Chinese dragon any day. Captain Hook was wickedly handsome with his long black curls and the children flew around the stage with ease.

It is a funny old story, a wistfulness for never growing up, with wicked enemies to fight, the nanny dog and crocodile sheer inspiration.  I often would pull my nose up at Japanese puppet shows but then looking from the perspective of a Japanese person I would not understand the plot of Peter Pan.

Anyway we are all glad it is over for Lillie's sake, out every evening, full days at college, scout meetings and then work at the cafe.

It will be a busy weekend as well, Matilda home to have her hair done by the family hairdresser and then Tom and Ellie on Sunday for lunch.

Hippodrome Theatre, Todmorden


6 comments:

  1. Peter Pan is a very surreal story. I used to fancy Tinkerbell when I was a child. She looked like the sort of girlfriend you could keep under control because of her size, but that was tantalisingly impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny Tom I had the same conversation with my daughter. Sex and the late Victorians came to mind, Ruskin and Effie, Alice and Carroll. The narrator was the old Wendy, now looking back at the young Wendy. Did Tinkerbell represent the dream blonde female I wonder and why cast Wendy as Peter Pan's mother all very weird. But being me I argued for just enjoying the visual story...

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful that these small community theatres survive, and small independent cinemas at places like Elland and Penistone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They an independent cinema at Hebden Bridge as well, I should explore more.

      Delete
  3. I love your theater. We have one in our town too. I don't get there nearly as often as I should, although it is just a few blocks away from my house. I could walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of hard work went into the show, tonight is the last one and a party afterwards.

      Delete

Love having comments!