Tuesday, October 18, 2022

18th October 2022

 Do you feel sad for Truss this morning, I do.  I hope those 80 thousand staunch conservative supporters are hanging their heads in shame.  I don't want any of that bunch of politicians but I hate to see someone brought down so low.  Parliament is a feeding station for 'piranhas'.  Remember those little fish that suddenly appeared in beauty salons a few years back, you put your feet into the water and they nibbled the dead skin off your toes.  No I never went there, more upset about cruelty to fish having to nibble feet - chuckle.

I can't forgive Truss for throwing Kwarteng to the wolves, she should have been more noble.  Nobility? I can hear the sniggers, but you watch the unseemly struggle for dominance from the next contenders. Mordaunt and Hunt included.  Women can be gentler, they can have a different perspective but jostling in the cramped and overheated Parliament can lead to wretched behaviour.

In my last blog I featured photos of the graveyard from Haworth but what keeps creeping back into my mind is that either at Haworth or Heptonstall graveyards, sewage seeped into the graves and caused terrible illness.  Well it is a bit like that now, there is an evil that slowly pervades the air (and I am not just talking about the conservatives - chuckle).

so all hail the future, but it looks a bit iffy at the moment!

Edit: Thinking of fish and my mind goes back to childhood and holidaying on a Welsh farm.  It was a small mixed farm, that my brother and I were sent to  while away the summer holidays.  The river in all its chuckling beauty was at the bottom of the fields.  We tried to tickle trout on those sunny days, rather difficult of course because the farm pig always accompanied us, friendly creature that she was.  

From this river my grandfather would catch salmon, that would fill   our fridge for days, perhaps that is why I love salmon so much now, though of course wild salmon is so much better than farmed.  He shot rabbit and pheasant as well, they would hang in the garage for a time.  My father, who never acknowledged me, also went for the shooting but shot the little terrier by mistake and after that never used a gun again.


8 comments:

  1. You sound to have had good times on summer holidays. Why is it for most of us in retrospect the summers were always full of long sunny days, not the dismal wind and rain that so often seems to feature in more recent summers?
    Living on a farm in Sussex I too had summers like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older you get the faster life passes you by Will. But we definitely had 8 week holidays, the other farm we were sent to was on Cannock Chase. A larger mixed farm that also bred bulls for showing. They were mostly kept in the row of outhouses outside the farmhouse and exercised on Sundays in the yard. We had to stop in and watch the show. Once I was found stroking a brown and white chained bull in the field, because I thought it was lonely. One of the sons caught me, and I was given a proper telling off.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful memories of your childhood holidays on the Welsh farm. Did you ever remember where in Wales it was? Not that revisiting would be sensible - too bitter-sweet.

    The fish in beauticians' would have been Dr Fish. Piranha would have had your toes OFF in pretty short order as they are very aggressive. My ex-husband had one, to show off to his mates - I was glad to see the back of it!

    You were right about the water supply for Haworth percolating through the graveyard. Fortunately Patrick Bronte realized the significance and did something about it, but before that . . . Typhoid and Cholera carried off swathes of the population. https://www.annebronte.org/2017/03/22/haworth-sanitation-and-the-babbage-report/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Welsh farm was near Pumpsaint Jennie, I remember it was remote and they normally travelled by tractor, their little car always stood on bricks with the tyres removed - too save on wear! Second question - bitten off toe or piranha for your ex ;) and thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always remember being told by an estate agent that there was a reason why properties at or near Ffarmers (not THAT far from Pumpsaint) were cheap - as in they were in the middle of nowhere. Smiling gently at the notion of having the tyres off the car to save on wear! They can't have used it very often then!

      Piranha applied to throat area would have been a good notion for ridding me of ex quicker . . . he disputed the divorce (just because he could) and I had to wait 5 years.

      Delete
    2. FFarmers is the place Jennie, I had a good friend in Lampeter until she married and went to America. The farm was remote as well, I remember (after the tyres were put back on the car) we went to visit a farm higher up along an unmade track and being greeted by lots of dogs and children. All that gone now probably into second homes. Wales was the escape route for those brought up in the Midlands, Reg kept his boat at Aberaeron as well.

      Delete
  4. Can’t say I feel sorry for Truss, she promised the world to the party members to get elected. Hopefully we the electorate will manage we always seem to. And your gentle blog helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, I suppose it beggars belief in the difference what the politicians say and what they do but in the end I do think it is the people in this country who actually DO the work.

      Delete

Love having comments!