Sunday, October 30, 2022

So I am writing at 6.o.clock when it is really 7.o.clock.

This is an old joke


 Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind

Cannot bear very much reality.

Time past and time future

What might have been and what has been

Point to one end, which is always present.

T.S.Eliot of course. Yes I got up this morning in a cross mood, having to worry about time.  I don't need to of course, I have nothing special to do, no job or school to go to, only my spinning wheel calling or my knitting.
Hilary Mantel was being discussed this morning and I thought how her mind and Eliot's minds are similar in the way they touch history.
Realising that we 'make up the fable of history' to suit our own mood. I have just written that the 'trick and treat' of Halloween is a made up version of the old stories and of course have  been a killjoy.  Apparently, according to my daughter there were strangely dressed up creatures on the streets last night and that the  shop where you can rent fancy dress in Manchester had queues round the block. There is a calamity as well as in Seoul in South Korea, partying on this holiday event has led to over 150 people being killed in a crush and I cannot go down that lane of pain.  
It  is news elsewhere, and Mozart is being played on the radio and the music fills space in a mindful manner. 
English weather, Piet Mondriaan painted what is still to come perfectly!  When the golden leaves have danced off the trees and reduced themselves to a soggy dark mess.

Piet Mondriaan - 1872 - 1944.  Trees in a Marshy Landscape




7 comments:

  1. I love the painting. I thought Mondrian was only more abstract work. I thought you were going to mention that one of his paintings has just been found to have been hung upside down in a gallery for 75 years! Says a lot about the painting to me . . . I like my art to be representational.

    Well, I am also up early. The cats heard me padding to the loo just before 6 a.m. (which should of course naturally be an hour later - it does annoy me that we still have to go by the changing the clocks ritual) Then as Tan/Jon hadn't pulled the staircase door (from the kitchen) properly shut, they burgled their way out of the kitchen and the two brothers appeared on our bed, demanding breakfast. So I had to get up - Keith had been awake half the night and I was desperate to let him sleep on as lack of sleep affects his balance/PD so much.

    I have new fabrics to iron and cut out and start piecing blocks for cushion covers, so I may get on with that with my "extra hour"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'upside down painting' had no signature on the front, only I think at the back. I just found it funny because in truth you can view it either way Jennie. I often wake early so giving me an extra hour in bed is useless, plus I feel hungry far too early for the clock! Keith must sleep on of course if it helps, it seems to be up and down with his condition. Bet the cats will play havoc if their food time is moved.

      Delete
  2. Just like Jennie when I saw the artists name I thought you were going to mention the upside down painting.

    I've decided not to be grumpy about clock changing this year - although I might think differently when it's dark so early tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminds me of the story of the 'Emperor without' clothes Sue. Its value suddenly becomes meaningless. Well one good outcome, all things with time that are modern manage to change themselves, and it is only the mechanical clocks that need changing.

      Delete
  3. Our clocks change next week. And then we will no longer change time anymore as "they" have decided that people don't like it. Whatever... like you I am retired so it hardly matters when I get up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well except for the need of a mug of tea first thing in the morning Ellen. It is supposedly for the children's early start in the morning. But I was worrying at 6.0.clock this evening waiting for my grand daughter to come home from working at the cafe. So it doesn't necessarily work.

      Delete

Love having comments!