Sunday, October 9, 2022

Sunday; a mish-mash

I have been delving in that enormous cauldron called Youtube and came up with, first, John Betjeman and Diss in Norfolk, which led me on to Nikolas Pevsner, that great chronicler of English churches, and then Dan Cruickshank came galloping into view on a tour of the weird and wonderful houses of Norfolk. Linkage is pretty good on Youtube, trouble is everything moves on so fast.

Pevsner was a bore, there is no getting away from it, he collected churches like train numbers, neatly caught in those small books of his. My late ex-husband probably had the whole series of his books and I would browse through them, always wanting more on the histories.  In fact I have always preferred ' Online History' which also includes earlier histories and manor houses.

I can never fault John Betjeman, as he sweetly wanders around his English towns and villagers in fading black and white film, slowly disintergrating at the edges.  His poetry is charming, poems written in the male perspective, and who can ever forget those immortal lines....

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!  

The rest of the poem is here a lovingly written poem of our England of old.

As for Dan Cruikshank, he is much younger here in the video.  I have also liked Cruikshank for introducing me to the fact that John Wood who gave us Georgian Bath, built into his dream a Masonic key which is only seen from the air....The Circus as the round part of the key walk down Gay Street to Queens Square which is square, and you will see the ‘key’ of Bath.

And lastly, a small homage to my ex, whose books engrossed me for many a year, our wedding reception at Waterstones (I mean where else?) And whose influence led me on to the dance of archaeology.








 

10 comments:

  1. I had Pevsner's Suffolk for ages, always meaning to look at it - but never did - it went in a move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given up lots of books and now what is left is in storage - don't half miss them Sue.

      Delete
  2. Pevsner may have been boring but his inquisitiveness and diligence have left a rather marvellous and comprehensive picture of England's priceless ecclesiastical heritage. As for Betjeman, I never thought of him as a proper poet. "Charming" sums up his twee lightness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have been reading the Guardian this morning Neil, there was an article on 'tweeness'. Betjeman wrote light poetry, which I suppose you could call twee but he was a good observer of his class. Pesvner was good at what he did but I still say it was dull!

      Delete
  3. Pevsner may have been a bore, but he was a really useful one. Betjeman was far from boring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never said Betjeman was boring, and you are right no one has catalogued like Pevsner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo from your wedding. Takes me back to the days of wearing dresses and nylons! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those orange sandals were high so probably did not wear tights. The Indian dress was from Anokhi in Bath, wished I had kept it.

      Delete
  6. Nice wedding photo. Really captures the times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad memories there of course, friends who have died. My daughter in front and her cousin, tall centre boy with long hair, Marc, now the sushi king in Switzerland.

      Delete

Love having comments!