Friday, October 28, 2022

28th October 2022

What's for tea tonight? Raclette, melted cheese over new potatoes eaten with plenty of pickled stuff to break down the cheese and salads on the side.



After Xmas my daughter buys up all the remaining stock of raclette cheese and fondue cheese from Lidl, which is probably about half a dozen of each, they are put in the freezer and then eaten through the year.  So we must finish last years before Xmas suddenly appears once again.

The first time I had raclette was in a Swiss restaurant, the round cake of cheese was held against the grill of a fire and melted into gluey deliciousness over the potatoes the smell was divine.



The day was dull today and I got caught in a strong shower with the wind suddenly fierce and yes I was in a cardigan so got wet.



I am not sure if food is always more delicious when on holiday on the continent, I have had some scary things.  Offal sausages in France, the owner was kind and gave me something else. Or langoustine (I think) in Venice that when I put a fork in it squelched blood.  No wonder I became a 90% vegetarian.  I think only the young single can become vegan or vegetarian as in a family there will be a need for choice.  Something that today's children require unfortunately.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't eat sprouts for years after I ate half of one, looked down at my plate and found the remaining half with half of a very cooked caterpillar in it . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember unwanted protein in lettuces when at boarding school, now it is only exotic spiders or frogs in the boxes of vegetables from abroad. Lillie to prove my point last night, went off and bought herself some steak, she hates potatoes with their skin on!

      Delete
  2. I enjoy trying new things, but in Korea, every street had a vender who sold silk worm larva soup. The broth looked beefy in color, but you could see the skins of the larva floating in it. I couldn't do it. I just could not bring myself to be that adventurous, although everyone who tried it found it delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasionally it is mooted that we should eat insects, and they bring out crispy baked insects for us to try - never have. But you must admit Debby 'waste not, want not' is a good saying ;)

      Delete
  3. I trust that the cardigan you were wearing was beige as Liz Truss passed a law during her whirlwind premiership that retired ladies should only wear beige cardigans or risk a fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could give you a long lecture on knitted cardigans, beige or otherwise. But am watching a video 'Fruity Knitting' 125 episodes, they are on King Edward Island and then Newfoundland looking at wool mills and traditions of knitting.
    Truss has disappeared crestfallen to the back benches, her flights of fancy brought to the ground and anyway in this country you can legislate but does it mean we have to comply?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truss should wear a truss - made from beige sackcloth and powdered with ashes. Johnson should be obliged to wear a clown's outfit when ever or if ever he attends parliament.

      Delete

Love having comments!