Thursday, October 27, 2022

Contentment




Sir Nigel Gresley flashed through town yesterday, steam flying in the wind as he made his way south from either Whitby or Pickering.  Yes he is a steam engine and had timetabled his appearance through all the stations through England to go home to his railway station.  Sir Nigel was of course a steam engineer long dead now.


 

A couple of hens were seen wandering over the road somewhere in Tod, and ownership has been claimed.  Yes we do live out of the maelstrom of current happenings.  I shall be taking my Permaculture magazines down to the Climate College today when it has stopped raining, they are having a Permaculture meeting this Saturday but have decided not to volunteer as a receptionist on the front desk of the college because I would freeze to death with those opening doors.  But there is a happy feeling that slowly a 'green' way of life is taking place.



You will note a photo of me has appeared on my side bar, this is to show that I have taken a step too being myself, stepping away from my old life and giving me my avatar of many years - Moss.



Moss is a beautiful word by the way, I stand guard over it in any garden lawn that I may have occupied.  Its tiny flowers will be seen in the cold of January, I believe because it is not indigenous to this country.  I love the word Moss, that is why I named my dog after it, it is a word that just rolls off the tongue.



Coming to the end of my life, quite happily by the way, has led to some serious thinking.  I have shunted off many belongings and no longer own a house - the freedom is by the way rather intoxicating - chuckle.

I even thought of moving to a place of retreat but new ways don't appeal and accustomising my self to other people definitely not.  So I will enjoy watching my four grandchildren become adults and move into the world on their own adventures.  They are all successful in their own ways so hopefully there will not be too much heartache.

I realise looking back that I have always done my own thing, wandering around the countryside, making gardens and surviving through life.  Something we all do.  Perhaps my next roll call is to follow a political line on my blog and find joy in the slow unravelling of the Conservative Party!!  I will never, ever, not find joy in the world around me though.

The fruit trees I grew to make a small orchard.

Bath a town I loved to wander down into on a crisp spring morning

The Bath garden.  Always grow things vertical as well, let everything tumble with gay abandon

St.David's Head, a favourite cromlech



10 comments:

  1. You sound so happy and content. I have been realizing that I am heading toward the end of life and it doesn't bother me either. Oh, I may have quite a few years left but everything is winding down for me and I notice the changes in my physical self more. It is what it is and I will use you as an example of enjoying the things around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as we grow older Ellen we are happy to take time off without guilt. Guilt and worry are my two main negatives. But as long as our bodies remain fairly healthy we should take the world as it comes. I am just hoping my knee will keep going, the NHS is in a terrible way at the moment and not likely to get better in the near future.

      Delete
  2. We are bloggers because we are thinkers. Some of my latest thoughts are anticipating the kind of autumn budget that the conservatives would have condemned as irresponsible lefty tax-and-spend until very recently. I would even bet on an energy windfall tax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sunak has put the ban back on fracking thank goodness, though it would have taken years to actually getting it working. Notice on this evening news he is missing the Copt 27 week on the environment, so he just may allow an energy windfall tax, the profits each month are obscene. Sunak will give and take just like all his predecessors. Where are the old days 'a penny tax on beer'?

      Delete
  3. Lovely reflective post Thelma, thank you. I'm 76 and can identify with the feeling of change in myself and around me. Love the picture of Moss such a beautiful dog, but nice to have a picture of you. I'm fine with your politics, you, Yorkshire Pudding and Weaver (oh, wherever is she) give me hope with your beliefs. Keep blogging, Jan Bxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jan for your show of support. I am also very worried about Pat, does this mean another stay in hospital. I think we all go to 'Weaver of Grass' every morning in hope but she has been away in the past for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even those of us across the pond of a certain age are concerned about Pat. She keeps us all uplifted with her strong spirit. always attempting to do whatever it takes to keep on going, so it is a shock when all of sudden she is not there.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I do just that. Fingers crossed she will soon be posting again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a place called Moss in the flatlands near Doncaster. Not many people know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite flowers is the rose and there is a branch of them called moss rose. Mutated in the 18th century I think and, wait for it, called in its Latin name "Rose rubra plena spinissisima, peduncolo muscoso". Truss has nothing compared to the real knowledge. You can almost read its form in its name.

      Delete

Love having comments!