Saturday, October 14, 2023

14th October 2023.

Early morning and I have just been down to Lidl to shop for today's meal. Lillie is sick (though not from my cooking!) and requires some chocolate coated cereal. I also bought baguettes for her.  Karen is at work and Andrew is putting the new bed together, which he is enjoying, very different to staring at the screen all day.

Yesterday was a delivery day.  So I was set up with an app group, to report all happenings.  The bed had to be delivered to the attic and it was accomplished very neatly by three men, with the admonition from one that they would like an 'excellent' recommendation.  Yes said I, I noticed you all took your shoes off and are wearing yellow jackets and moved the furniture back into place.  Next came the mattress with two men, I had been given security numbers for this delivery but they didn't  want them.

Then a third delivery by my favourite Amazon man, he was tutting away to himself about damage to the parcel (it wasn't) it seems that one of the vans parked outside the house, there were two, had had an accident and they were moving parcels from one van to another.

The fifth member of the family, Mollie was good last night, she has settled in with her loud squarks of impatience.  She is quite gentle, a little paw will tap you on the nose at night for some petting.

The strain I think many of us are under with the Israel/Palestine war unrolling on a daily basis is a constant worry.  We go from one terrible tragedy to another and feel the pain of others.  I don't know what today will bring, we seem to live in a state of dread at the moment.  So a couple of things I picked up along the way this week.






I think Mary Oliver's poem on the Wild Geese is apt for this week'


Though on reflection Wendell Berry also comes to mind - The Peace of Wild Things.

10 comments:

  1. I enlarged "Wild Geese" to read it and it's an uplifting poem but it has not taken my mind off the beleaguered people of Gaza City as in their thousands they struggle to escape the forthcoming Israeli vengeance. Where are they supposed to go? They cannot follow the wild geese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched a Guardian video of it, the cars jammed in the street, the people on foot. Why does all this happen? Lives will be lost and all because people cannot live in peace with each other.
      Having a large screen I did not realise it was difficult to read the poem, except of course by phone and perhaps it pleases me and at least soothes the soul to take comfort in words Y/P.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Mollie gave up her cardboard box the next day for a furry one. She sleeps under a table next to my bed and I'm treated as part of the 'roadway' to the window.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of the Wild Geese before, but it is profound, isn't it? To think that we all have a place, that we all beloong. I wish that more people believed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mary Oliver's book of poems will go on my Xmas list.

      Delete
  4. Li ke YP I had to enlarge to read - I have the poem in a book on my shelf but it was easier to enlarge than to struggle up from a sitting position. She always has wise words. I am ashamed to. say I am not watching the News - I can't bear the utter misery, the mindless killing and mutilation, the hatred. Cowardly you might say but I have to sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it is best not to dwell Pat, but if we don't have empathy we have nothing.

      Delete
  5. I can do little save ask for the killing to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knowing it won't of course Joanne that is the sadness of it.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!