Tuesday, October 24, 2023

musing


There are blogs I admire.  I enjoy reading all blogs because they give the flavour of the person writing it. But there are occasional blogs that write from the soul and in this farmer's Galloway blog called Bog, Myrtle and Peat he covers his subject from, what I would describe, as a deep searching.

Two recent blogs come to mind, one is about the writer of Tarka the Otter, someone called Williamson and his adherence to the Nazi creed.  You may ask how can nature and Hitler go together, but never forget, we, as rounded individuals can take on the colours of others.  Williamson escaped in his time the 'cancellation culture' we have today, his book on Otters is read by many.  Not by me by the way, I just hate sadness in books.

The essay on Williamson is here.

The other essay he has written, note how I switch from blog to essay, but fine writing should have a word worthy of it. Is about the old farmers at market, some with their 'quiffs' of hair still adhered to and with a greasy comb in the top pocket of their coat. Farmers who grew up in the 1950s and were 'Teddy Boys'.  

We grow old but of course still bring the younger self along in our thinking, and  it was always better in our day than it is today.  Not really of course more people in this country live off the fat of the land then they did in those far off days.  It is just that life is more complicated.

The essay on 'Forever Young' is here

I loved Galloway.  If I had nine lives like cats are supposed to have, I would have lived there and explored its rather empty landscape, would have attended the Tibetan like temple that gathers its people from all round the world and wondered at a religion that is so foreign to my thinking.  But I do so love the soft elements of it.

As I write the geese fly overhead, I wonder where they sleep at night and I am reminded not of Mary Oliver and her geese, but Yeats and the 'Wild Swans of Coole' come to mind.

The trees are in their autumn beauty,
The woodland paths are dry,
Under the October twilight the water
Mirrors a still sky;
Upon the brimming water among the stones
Are nine-and-fifty swans.

Only of course the woodland paths are not dry, stinking mud left behind in some homes as the floods swept through - nature is ruling once more and the geese fly over with their soft tones oblivious of the tragedies that haunt human kind.








7 comments:

  1. As usual Thelma - interesting post and lovely - restful- posts which at the moment I much appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are things happening Pat over which we have no control, so I just like pulling old photos out and wittering on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself really focusing on the small things these days. It is the only way I can avoid being overwhelmed by the awfulness of what is happening around us. I know that sounds like a child stuffing their fingers in their ears and squinching their eyes shut and repeating nonsense words to themselves.

    Across from the house we are rehabbing, there is a smallprechool and the children come out to play on the playground at noon. Oh how children love to run and scream! I listen to them and always am reminded of the children who are running and screaming for other reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how children take real delight in screaming, they do it hear as well. I do not want to dwell on what happened in Israel, only that not more children are killed. Britain does not seem to know what path to take, our silly prime minister running round the world and talking big, just so we can get dragged in on America's coat tails for whatever happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dismayed that my country can only talk of standing with Israel. I disagree with blind allegiance. This is a peace that needs to be negotiated. Have you ever read the Lemon Tree?

      Delete
    2. The talks should be of peace not rockets. That is what the protests are saying. No I haven't read The Lemon Tree, probably another sad book I feel. Just been listening to a meditation on Samhain. The girl taking it put the question "We are tomorrow's ancestors, how can we contribute to a better world for the ones yet to come"
      I don't know the answer?

      Delete
    3. The Lemon Tree puts it plainer than anything I have ever read. You can see clearly that it is not all one sided. Israel needs to to make some concessions too.

      Delete

Love having comments!