Wednesday, October 18, 2023

18th October 2023



I forgot to record yesterday that I am listening to Robert Galbraith's 'The Running Grave'.  Belonging of course to the 'Strike' novels and written by J.K.Rowling.  I have watched the 'Strike' drama on television, and Rowling is a very good writer, longwinded maybe.  The Harry Potter stories went on for a quite while. As I love children stories the films of the series were watched but now have had their day.

Rowling is obviously immersed in her storytelling, The Running Grave read out aloud is over 34 hours long, and if you read this Guardian article it states that the book is too long and could have been trimmed in places.

In the article you will see the lengthy plot of a cult that is in itself inherently evil and destructive of the people caught up in it.  Definitely a step up from the old fashioned idea of cults, though some have been extraordinarily dangerous, the way they take over the young and give them some sort of coherence in a world they do not understand.

I expect storytelling in the hands of a good storyteller will always pull us into their domain, and we emerge slightly shaken by the experience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today we face another unprecedented step in the conflict between Israel and Palestine.  The bombing of a Palestinian hospital has just been described by Lyse Doucet as a terrible indictment on war.  We should not be applauding war or revenge, vengeance always brings terrible repercussions.  Whosoever's rocket destroyed the hospital and I believe it may have been a Hamas one, there is a need to strive for ceasefire on both sides.

It is perception that fuels the conflict - Lyse Doucet, Canadian journalist who works for the BBC









4 comments:

  1. I tried reading the Strike books but they just waffled too much - so I'm glad the Guardian agrees with me!
    I'll wait for the next TV series whenever they get around to making it - book six I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I know you don't like being read to Sue, so perhaps give it a miss, except if they do make a drama out of this book, it should be quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Rowling's book that she wrote after the Potter series and was not impressed. Maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps Tabor you should watch the 'Strike' series television drama, which probably captures the stories with less detail.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!