Sunday, October 15, 2023

15th October 2023

Yorkshire:  I shall probably end my days here so let us look at it as an entity.  Because that is what the occupants seem to imply about 'God's Own Country'  I basically disagree with this catch all phrase.  Britain as a whole is beautiful from the far reaches of the Scottish mountains, to the low flat Anglian coast.  Wales especially so, and who could not delight in the soft cream of the Cotswold stone cottages or the timber clad old houses of the Midlands.

But Yorkshire has some delights, expanses of moorland, dales that dip invitingly and round here in Calder Valley tree lined steep slopes that reach up to the moors.  So if you are fit and active a good place to explore.  

One thing I have noticed is that the Neolithic/Bronze Age and Iron Age are thin on the ground, so that they could not have found Yorkshire a particularly good place to live. I cannot find one decent stone circle, have to travel as far the Castlerigg circle should I wish to watch the solstices.

The town where I live has aspirations.  Todmorden has embarked on being 'Incredible Edible', but I have still not plucked up the courage to pick anything.  The apple trees outside the doctor's premises, produced an abundance of apples but were then hit by some form of disease that rotted them. I think the town won some prizes this year for their flower beds and the vegetables and it is indeed a community venture that keeps the place looking good. 

Just round the corner from where we live, is the Hippodrome Theatre, again a community venture, which is showing 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Coat this week, in which Lillie is appearing.

Also and right next door to the theatre and I have booked something as an 'interest' here is 'A Centre for Folklore Myth and Magic'. Also a coffee shop. I see they have something on Andrew Lang, so I shall see what is on offer.

To spread further afield.  Bradford is to be 'City of Culture' in 2025.  There is also a move to buy the old house in Thornton near Bradley where the three Bronte sisters were born, Charlotte, Anne and Emily and to make it up into museum, cafe, etc.

So Yorkshire does buzz of course, Manchester is recovering from the news that there will be no fast train service from the Deep South but ploughing ahead with intergrated travel services and has a vibrant night life.

I think I shall reread Madeline Buntings book 'The Plot' which is a personal look at her father who lived in North Yorkshire.

Authentic Yorkshire accents in the following video ;)



5 comments:

  1. Seems like a very vibrant community Thelma. I used to visit West Yorkshire a lot as a teenager as several of my Mother's sisters lived around Huddersfield. My mum and I with one or othr of my Aunties used to catch the bus to wherever it was market day. My mother loved what she used to call 'Pot stalls' so we usually came back home with a jam dish or a butter dish or a new milk jug. My dad and my uncle Cecil (and sometimes me as my legs grew longer) would catch the bus to Marsden and walk over the moors to Meltham. It has always been a vibrant area I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like china shops as well Pat, the various oven dishes you can buy for baking dishes in. One of the things I thought I had lost in the move was a translucent blue French large serving dish and I was so happy to find it a few weeks ago wrapped up at the bottom of a box..

      Delete
  2. You live in a wonderful place. I'll go back and watch the video, I can understand the accent and it's charming to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yael, nice to see you here. I am not sure how good it is here, being in a valley it is always rather damp. But since yesterday the weather has turned very cold and I even have just gone and got a hot water bottle. Stay safe. x

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!