Tuesday, October 31, 2023

31st October 2023 - All Soul's Night

A Blessing

The following poem for All Hallows.  I found this recently, Louise Gluck had just died and it seemed appropriate for this day.  Looking at what I have written over the years and I find that the mind is too occupied with the tragedy of today between Israel and Palestine.  Annwyn may be riding the skies tonight, his horses looking for souls, but surely it is the Four Horses of the  Apocalypses that has taken centre stage as the world waits for whatever the latest tragedy has to offer.

All Hallows 
Even now this landscape is assembling.
The hills darken. The oxen
sleep in their blue yoke,
the fields having been
picked clean, the sheaves
bound evenly and piled at the roadside
among cinquefoil, as the toothed moon rises:

This is the barrenness
of harvest or pestilence.
And the wife leaning out the window
with her hand extended, as in payment,
and the seeds
distinct, gold, calling
Come here
Come here, little one

And the soul creeps out of the tree.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other blogs I have written for Halloween;


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem. I will look for more poems by the poet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly have to log in again to post a comment. I have had to do that on several blogs this morning. Guess I am going to have to research this! The world is in turmoil and Halloween seems a nice respite to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you all enjoyed the poem, she is someone I have not come across before..
    @Tabor Google or blogger, does occasionally play up, I sign in and out every day and it seems to work fine.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!