Monday, October 23, 2023

23rd October 2023


This came through as a 'memory' yesterday.  Again Lucy features in a blog.  I have just finished preparing tonight's meal, which is a sweet potato mash on top of butter beans and vegetable base, enlivened with plenty of wine and cream.  The mash has Feta cheese through it but not today it is cheddar instead.
The photo of course brings sadness in its wake, the tidiness of the room, Lucy snoring gently on the carpet, and the old rocking chair in the corner which I must have lost in one of the moves.
Since I have moved up here, I have been aware that the cuisine of various restaurants is not English, well that is whether you count Wetherspoon as a restaurant or not.
My repartee seems to be more French in its makeup,  cream, butter, cheese and wine are something I fall back on easily.  Vegetables sit at the base of my cooking, just as likely to get excited over 'Sweetheart' cabbage rather than roast meat.
Lillie is on college holiday this week, it is also the week of the theatre production at the Hippodrome in which she has a part, or maybe several.  I am not allowed to go because I left the last play to go to the loo and never returned to watch the end!
In the town there was a food sale for 'Free Palestinians' at the Unitarian church, and also a protest of about 100 people outside the Town Hall.
The town has a good Muslim population and I often see the men going to prayer each day.
A quiet day I suppose, dank and dark with the fallen leaves already starting to mush up in the puddles.  But no flooding thank goodness, my daughter reckons that as the railway flood defences are pushed further downstream we are not being flooded here.  But the rain fall was not so heavy either.

6 comments:

  1. I had a chair like this in the corner. I too wonder when and where it went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trouble with rocking chairs is when the children use them. I was always worried that either the chair would move and knock into the Tv or they would do a backward flip Yael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for praying in peace....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only prayers could answer the problems that beset Israel and Palestine could solve them Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a 'wide open' room! I love the lighting and the old dog comfortably sprawled. It is certainly a comfortable room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it was a big room Debby that stretched from the front to the back. The curtains were the old ones from the Chelmsford house, and I disliked them. But Paul said we had to have them remade for this house as well. I always feel sad when a house one has occupied for a time is sold, you sort of still belong to it.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!