Monday, October 30, 2023

Travel - It gets comical

I'm so glad I did not travel to Macclesfield with them yesterday.  A nightmarish journey that started with a coach trip to Rochdale, no trains from Tod.  They waited, it turned up eventually.  Everyone seated, the driver turned the wrong way to go to Rochdale.  He reversed as everyone shouted at him and with a lady sitting near him was told where to stop to pick up people along the way.  When you get to Manchester you have to cross from one station to another, and the three had to wait for an hour having missed the train. Two hours later they arrived in Macclesfield.  Tom who had to sit alone and read his book had a variety of companions on the journey.  The worst being a rather large man, who nipped off the coach and bought himself some beers, which he consumed through the rest of the journey.

My daughter bought 'it's for you mum, hmmm' a large vintage orange salad shaker, I took a horrified look at it and asked where we were going to keep it in the already overflowing cupboards.  Apparently there is a vintage cooler bought as well but she is hiding that from me.

The rest of the family did not fare so well either.  Matilda stuck in York station for a couple of hours, something went wrong with the line, and Andrew stuck in London again for almost 3 hours.

The journey back was almost as bad, again taking a couple of hours, this time the trams in Manchester were all dilly-dallying.

Don't travel on a Sunday! But apparently Macclesfield is considered  a fashionable place to live out of Manchester which they had to see and of course the new little house rented by Tom and Ellie.

Also looking fashionable doesn't pay.  Matilda dressed in her best black leather jacket and a vintage sweater borrowed from a friend.  She got soaked from the rain, and black from the jacket leaked on to the expensive jumper ;

This, funnily enough is not a criticism of the trains, stuff happens, strikes at the moment unfortunately. But truthfully, come Sunday, and it is a day for mending the tracks in England.  So would HS2 have made it any better? Probably a better train service, interlocking the great Northern cities and towns might be a much better answer.

4 comments:

  1. almost a book there with all those 'happenings' - not my idea of a jolly Sunday. The black leather jacket incident is interesting too - I bought myself a new navy blue leather 'biker' jacket - decided at almost 91 now I needed to break out - so hope it doesn't get wet and leak on to my new sweater. World situation so unbearably awful - how good it is to chat about something normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Ciaran the storm is coming next week so watch out Pat. I did not realise that leather leaked colour but there again it has of course been dyed.
    Yes the news is terrible, the Israeli hostages must be in a terrible state.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. As I pictured the scenes in my head, I have to tell you that they would make a good sitcom episode. I laughed out loud at your daughter hiding a cooler from you and presenting you with a bright orange salad shaker. The day sounds disasterous, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe a gentle shake in the colander is better than dancing around with a shaker and bruising the leaves.. When my daughter got home she just went straight to bed shattered by the day Debby.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!