Friday, May 15, 2020

Friday 15th May

My day as usual started early, I had planned to go shopping at the small Co-op in Pickering and arrived just after seven. All change again, sanitation station outside with different coloured sanitary bottles.  No black shopping baskets, you have to use the trolleys, the arrows have become more definitive, you walk a determined path. Less food but a good choice of a very limited nature though. But aubergines have suddenly appeared which is a first time.  A large part of my shopping is cat and dog food and necessities such as cheese, milk, butter and fruit.  Next to this small Co-op was the Kia garage and car centre but now all the cars have disappeared and it would seem that a new much larger Co-op will be built.
Reading of some people's washing of food coming into the house, must say I am very negligent on that point, just washing my hands and the odd fruit.  Lucy helps me unpack, she adores pears and once managed to eat two after one shop.
The two gold finch are on the lawn, I stop to watch, a pair of jewels in the greenery, they are eating the dandelion seed.  One moment there are dandelions everywhere, their bright yellow faces reaching to the sun and then we are left with the feathery seed heads, spreading their young to cover the verges and wild spaces once more.
I have kneaded dough for bread and made a mushroom sauce, not sure what it is going on but there was a surplus of mushrooms.  Grated the old bread for fish cakes and now waiting for lunch, which will be hard boiled egg mayonnaise sandwich with lettuce from the garden.
Rachel on her blog has written about the things missing in life, or not. There is only one thing I miss, and that is Paul, but he lives in my heart if not my head all the time.

10 comments:

  1. I feel the same about David Thelma. Three years now and every single morning without fail I put my hand out at the side of me in bed to see if he has got up or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the moment when you wake up and the truth comes rolling back, I suppose this house has so much of his presence still.

      Delete
  2. I am turning into Graham Greene here - paranoid about germs. When we have a food delivery anything to go in the (Quarantine) fridge is sprayed with Dettox and let stand for a while then wiped down before it goes in the fridge. Fruit is washed in soapy water. Apples I always peel anyway. Tinned stuff sits in its bag or in a box until needed and deemed "safe to touch" after 3 days. Even the post gets quarantined! I'm not as bad as a friend who really goes to town with the cleansing and wears a mask, gloves, etc and has a shower and clean clothes afterwards.

    I am glad for you and Pat that Paul and David are still there for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are right to be wary Jennie with your health. But to be honest I only go to one shop, the Co-op and they do not have all these wonderful sprays, etc to clean surfaces, so I do it with Fairy Liquid. After all it strips grease away, and as soap has the same affect on the virus I hope F/L does the same.

      Delete
  3. We had Cairn terriers who assisted with the garden, to the extent of harvesting the potatoes themselves. And eating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny what dogs will eat, Lucy will eat any vegetables preferably in their uncooked state.

      Delete
  4. It had become so tiring soaping everything that now I just put it all in the cellar for three days, including the Radio Times!
    Made a near mistake with one bill; opened 3 days later only to discover I needed to pay it immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some people throw away the first page of their daily newspaper as well. Must admit put my bread flour and box of loose tea in a cupboard but don't worry too much about post.

      Delete
  5. Really hard to lose a life partner. No answers for that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you are quite right Rain, all one can do is move forward.

      Delete

Love having comments!