Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Tuesday

I dedicated my weekly shopping trip yesterday to go to the Organic Shop in Pickering for bread flour.  Normally a bustling little town with a traffic jam of cars, it was empty except for a few solitary people, lifeless.  Anne, the owner only lets people into the shop on Saturday morning she told me but she was quite happy to see me. The shelves looked rather bare, but plenty of flour she said, in fact I had walked past my flour outside in a box.  She is truly worried about the strictures around social distancing and would ask me to move if she had to pass, her write an 'email and then collect' seems to be working.
Things I have run out off; dog poo bags and yeast, sent off to Ebay for both and hopefully they should arrive in a day or two.  I actually don't want to make the life of my postman miserable but some things are essential.  I have tried making a sour dough mother but it seems to be wanting some bubbles!
In fact my life is good, I stress this because watching videos of other countries, such as Venezuela, where people traded one tomato and one onion at their local shop for a meal was such an eye opener as to how many of the people in the world live in poverty, no wonder they are emigrating to our over indulgent Western world.  And if I read another recipe about wretched avocados, they know where they can put it, the well heeled have no such problems, this of course is being mirrored in this country, as poor areas have more death with the virus than richer areas.
What I do hope is that the history chroniclers capture a true picture of what is happening as we go through this period of crisis.  What should never be forgotten is that it is nothing like flu, it makes people very ill and will result in death for a few.  Stay at home is perhaps the best medicine for all of us, learn to live within our means at home, and of course say thank you to the people who are out there in the front line making our world work.



Some Vimeo videos: Plante,  https://vimeo.com/412339754

  New York restaurant            https://vimeo.com/412396748



8 comments:

  1. I agree totally Thelma - we are very lucky indeed in this country. I personally have not been anywhere for six weeks apart from my daily walk round the estate with Percy. I get a weekly order and a top up of fresh fruit and veg mid week from a local shop which delivers. Yes, we have a lot to be thankful for here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has not really hit us, staying in is not arduous, we are just in the hands of people who cannot quite see the road ahead.

      Delete
  2. I love that little shop in Pickering I remember using it when we were camping for a week nearby, I am glad to hear that the lovely lady that runs it is managing to keep things going.

    We are lucky you are right, there are people much worse of than we are and we should be grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I evoked a memory, yes, shut off in that little square in the car park she still remains open, even though all around her is closed.

      Delete
  3. I like Pickering. We've visited a few times on holiday in the Whitby area, usually arriving on the steam railway. That little museum too - Beck Isle is it called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you must be very rich to arrive on the steam train. It is a lovely ride though, and they say one day, one day you will be able to go on to York.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful it would be in the world would acquire new and better habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well many people seem willing Joanne, it is just the system that lets us down.

      Delete

Love having comments!