Thursday, May 14, 2020

Thursday 14th May

A night of frost, though tender plants were in the house.  The back lawn looks like a storm has hit it.  Leaves and young branches are scattered around, dandelions shorn of their yellow flowers and odd feathers sticking up, presumably left by the playful kitten.  Green Eyes follows the hens around as if they are playmates.  Various members of her family skulk through but all are wary of Lucy.
I have managed my two jobs a day and feel virtuous, a walk round the garden watching the buds of roses break, and all the lavender plants  waiting to break into that soft purple buds of sweet smelling scent.
Not sure whether to take Lucy for a walk, her front feet bleed occasionally and last time we went she lay down in the middle of the lane, on a corner, to lick them.  We had fun this morning clearing out a cupboard to put all the animal foods I have acquired, I found one of those neck collars, which she wore for 5 minutes.
Restrictions are easing on the lockdown but many people are still wary.  Given the question would I let my child go back to school, the answer would be no I am afraid.  Did a fun survey on F/B and the end answer, was "stay the **** home" .  It would seem to my simple mind that congregations of people will of course spread the virus amongst themselves. The answer is of course that the economy must survive, measuring lives against money though? 
The care homes and their vulnerability were dusted under the carpet at the beginning, now truths are beginning to out, we were so unprepared for a pandemic, though warnings have been on the radar for a couple of years.  Many old people have now died unnecessary earlier deaths, the lives of the care workers put at risk with no PPE to be had.
A pair of gold finch have been around regularly on the lawn, such bright little creatures they must be nesting in the yews.  Starlings are nesting under the roof tiles next door and Irene says the mistle thrush seems to have given up building a nest in their trellising, which is sad.

4 comments:

  1. Yes Thelma, it seems that people have eased up out of all proportion here too. Friends are calling and visiting around where my son lives and round me too. As far as I am concerned, for the time being I am continuing exactly as before. Would I let my child go back to school? Definitely not for the forseeable future. If they are of Primary age then I think September is plenty soon enough. I am glad my teaching days are long over otherwise there would be the dilemma of whether or not I would go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notice more cars on the road as well. The more people everyone sees, the more will think it alright unfortunately. There was a message from Whitby town, asking people to stay away. a) because of the elderly population and b) because people do not have gardens to go to, only the town. Restaurants, cafes and loos will be shut, what people in Cumbria and the Lake district are also asking is that people do not come from other districts just to have a day on the sands or by the lakes, they endanger the lives of local people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people will move into the new life as it suits them, and that is for the best. I've noticed far more traffic on the road this week myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Lockdown' is a curious phase in our history, the problem will arise from unlocking of course Joanne.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!