Sunday, May 17, 2020

Sunday 17th May

Green Eyes thinking

Words fail me, so a little 'stream of consciousness'.  There is a terrible piece of music on radio 3 - dying, dying, dying - wish he would not take so long over it!  Apparently Tennyson wrote the original poem?
I moved my computer downstairs on to the table, and now I can look out on the back garden and the birds, and the kitten growing larger by the day, she sits by the french windows looking in occasionally.

Barack Obama has added his voice to the controversy.......

“Do what you think is right,” Obama told the students. “Doing what feels good, what’s convenient, what’s easy — that’s how little kids think. Unfortunately, a lot of so-called grown-ups, including some with fancy titles and important jobs, still think that way — which is why things are so screwed up.”

Screwed up is the under statement of the time, everyone is arguing about whether to let us all out in a limited freedom, or whether this move will encourage the virus into a second wave.  The teachers are under pressure to return to school along with the children, everyone is uncertain of what to do.

View from the stones of the village

Yesterday I mooched around the photographs of Eskdalemuir, though of course holidays are off limit, especially in the other three countries of Britain.  Will there be a break up,  Brexit news is going along very quietly, the government have one hell of a distraction issue in the virus, no-deal Brexit might well creep through, as also many other unsavoury items such as chlorinated chicken.

Internet has been off, so I watched Nigel Slater in Lebanon, he is so enthusiastic about Lebanese cooking but then being London orientated he can shop in the relevant shops, think I shall check on how to make flat breads just in case we run out of yeast. But we are not starving which cannot be said for India as people traipse hundreds of kilometres to their home villages.  My only 'want' at the  moment is coffee beans for grinding, been off the shelves for weeks.  So I picked up some ground coffee but fear it may be decaffeinated unfortunately.






11 comments:

  1. I didn't realise coffee beans were in short supply. I buy mine from Taylors of Harrogate and have not had any difficulty getting 'Lazy Sunday' - my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I will try on the internet, I think Bettys in Harrogate sells tea, etc online.

      Delete
  2. yeast, flour and certain cuts of meat are in short supply at my stores. I meant to pick up some miso when I visited a nearby Asian store and forgot. Maybe in a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say shortage is more down to delivery than actual shortage but I am not sure. My son, who lives in Bath, has just sent me some photos of his Lebanese cooking which he did last night, but Bath has a good Sainsbury, and Waitrose of course.

      Delete
  3. Green eyes thinking, or waiting and watching? Our cat does that at this time of year, hoping for a young mouse or bird to get too near.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen her with a mouse, and she practises stalking on my hens but I think she knows better than to attack them.

      Delete
  4. It's good to see and hear Barack Obama stepping into the fray. Over in America, Trump hasn't expressed any heartfelt feelings of sympathy for the families and friends of the 90,000 dead. Not a single word. To him COVID 19 is just an annoying inconvenience that threatens his chances of a second term

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woodenness of the faces around him says a lot. He must be devoid of any feeling, not to feel the derision that is so often expressed. Think we are all glad that Obama has spoken out.

      Delete
  5. Good news in the USA, yeast is back in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant Joanne, it is because everyone in Britain during the lockdown has been baking bread, and the stores are rationing out a lot of goods, so if you weren't in the store when things come out you lose out.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!