Sunday, May 3, 2020

Sunday 3rd May


I am weeding, mostly the creeping buttercup as it burrows its way through the flowerbed.  It does act like the mandrake plant but does not squeal as I pull its roots from the earth.  The rose bed (to give it a formality it doesn't need) has a few of the foxgloves from last year and the lavenders are balls of soft grey amongst the roses.  Rod and his wife have cut the lawns and Rod sweetly dug out the remaining trunk of the old dead bush I cut down.  He feels my loss I think and in his own kind way will hack away foliage if it looks untidy.  Unfortunately he does not know my tendency towards untidiness and branches gracefully framing the scenery ;).  I have always had this cross relationship with men in my life about hacking things back to the bone in the garden!

Yesterday my daughter put a photo of the two girls in Pannett Park, Whitby.  I would urge everyone to go to the museum inside the park, it is a most delightful place filled with all the paraphernalia of a busy town.  Black jet funeral jewellery, Captain Cooke, prints, Victorian toys, model ships, jostle for attention and of course the 'Hand of Glory' that withered remain of a cursed hand, beloved of thieves. And also featuring in the Harry Potter saga.

Before

But to go back to the original point of the above paragraph, which was the fact that my daughter put a photo on social media of Matilda and Lillie in the park and it brought back the memory of Lillie falling in the water and me being accused of trying to drown her.  Which was just an elaboration of teasing that goes on in the family.  They had been playing around, could it have been on the bandstand  and Lillie following her older sister had slipped and fallen into some water.  She came our thoroughly frightened and wet, and we phoned her mum to explain the disaster, Matilda giggling at the whole escapade, a warm bath back at the cottage soon repaired the damage though.

After
The gardener is keeping well out of it I notice.  I shall do some more gardening today, on the more practical side I have made a small patchwork quilt for a  future great-grandchild, so my views are optimistic in this time of crisis.

4 comments:

  1. I love the Whitby museum. I lived near Whitby for a year and I loved to visit the museum and the pannett park next to it, that you for those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was so much at the museum, I also liked the gallery of paintings as well. Whitby must be feeling the pinch with the lockdown, it seems to rely entirely on the tourist trade, it must be deliciously empty at the moment. ;) Think I miss the Shepherd's Purse and the book shop nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilting for a great-grandchild - sounds like a very mood-boosting activity for sure. I hope you show progress pictures... or will that wait until after the gift is given? The last quilt I made for a grandchild -- also the first I made for one! -- I could not get over thinking it was ugly, and I needed lots of contradictory flattery, as it seemed, when I was finished. Of course the child did not think it ugly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the problem, one is never satisfied with the result. For instance I had limited choice on my shelf, and second I have put a strip in which I don't like but still.

      Delete

Love having comments!