Wednesday, September 14, 2022

14th September 2022. A definite chill in the air

In hushed tones the BBC follows minutely every twist of the funeral of the Queen.  Today the goodwill and robust nature of the people queueing outside Westminster Hall,  all night and it rained heavily.  The final farewell for the family and staff of  Buckingham Palace, captured on the above video from the Guardian.  As respectful as any newspaper you will find.

At the moment because of her grace and goodness, Queen Elizabeth II is the most important person in the world.  She takes our minds off war in Ukraine, a cold winter because energy has been limited somewhat. Even Liz Truss must be rejoicing as the satirical tongue of the media is quiet and pays respect to the Queen and Truss stays in the background.

My granddaughter said the other day, that she was living through a whole series of important events and she is right of course, they have clustered around this one moment in time.

But my mind has been elsewhere of course.  Thinking of the stray sentence I heard on the radio yesterday about how it doesn't cost much to fill three hot water bottles.  Now did he mean three hot water bottles for three people or three hot water bottles for one person.  How would you carry them for instance.  This is a problem no less, for I find wrapping yourself in a heated blankets has problems when you go to walk away being still attached to the plug on the wall!

Another thought strayed across my mind as well, as I listened to the 'suburban painter' and went in search of him but couldn't find this particular one but found another.  Harry Bush (1883 - 1957) who had lived through two World Wars.  He never quite got out of obscurity, but his finely worked paintings of suburbia records the bombing in London.

Harry Bush - A Corner of Merton
And if anyone has any quibbles about the way that I write, please leave your name, not anonymous.  I might go in for banishment even though I am polite, but not that polite.




10 comments:

  1. I dislike the anonymous comments too, especially those that are critical but haven’t read the full story, Even though I’m having problems with Google so cannot do so via my blog page, and sometimes not at all, when I comment I leave my name - www.mylifeinflipflops.blogspot.com. It’s important to stand by what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do follow your blog so thank you for your words. I am not really having any trouble with Anon, was even going to find them a poem. It is the fault of Google, but it is also slightly annoying when people do not sign off with their names. All I will say is that Yorkshire is getting colder, we are definitely moving into Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Suffolk we still have sunshine and temps in the 20's it's lovely. Hope it lasts.
    The painting of the bombed out houses is so detailed - every plank of wood and the plant growing over the shelter. I shall look the artist up to see what else he did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being in a valley Sue we tend to get dull weather till about lunch time when the sun comes out. It is a good record that painting by Harry Bush less dramatic then a photograph but the attention to detail is thorough.

      Delete
  4. I have no quibbles at all about the way you write. After John Going Gently yours in the first post I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat for your support. Sometimes I think my spurts of writing make some people cross. It does stop the fingers from typing occasionally.

      Delete
  5. I agree with your grand daughter. Have you seen the 'stinking pen' video clip? Poor sod. We all hate change in later life, but this has been looming up on him for many years now. He will look back on his carefree days with wistfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tom, he definitely has a quick temper, Camilla also got ink on her fingers but she didn't fly into a rage. Charles is an intelligent person bound up in some eccentricities he will find it hard to conform as to what is expected of him.

      Delete
  6. This is certainly a favorite post. You have such great sophisticated knowledge about "stuff." I think even America is so sad about the departure of this dignified and important women in history. Now I go to read about that persimmon that seemed too simplistic for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be truthful Tabor, the questioning of the symbolic nature of paintings has not been the thing I would do. European painting especially so, as they paint as they see. But Chinese/Japanese art have much deeper meanings, as they form part of the teahouse rituals, and are only temporary on display for the seasons.

      Delete

Love having comments!