Saturday, September 17, 2022

17th September 2022


King Arthur's Hall


I am sitting, rather magnificently, draped in a royal blue heated blanket.  The temperature on my phone says 4 degrees, and it feels that cold.  I am not going to complain about the cold, many people are worse off than me, and my heart goes out to them.  Recently I have watched videos of distraught people, and I shall call them poor, who cannot pay for heating or food

Thank you Conservative party for allowing this to happen, to sit calmly by, whilst the NHS falters as you try to privatise it.  Thank you for making sure all your cronies are paid up front, skimming all the profit which goes into the pockets of investors and CEOs, so pleased they will have comfortable lives.  But what about the rest of the people?

We are sitting on a sinking ship, with the rich taking all the plunder with them as they make for the lifeboats.  Okay perhaps I exaggerate to a point.  Energy prices are not just down to the Russians, this problem has been festering for a few years, we have made a reasonable start in green energy but more has to be done.  Our new prime minister is promising a cap on energy bills, but at the same time tax cuts for the better off.  Generous not. 

If I had to forecast anything, it would probably be the fall of the conservative party, two absymal PMs have made it so, sadly the opposition doesn't hold out much better.  London centralism is ruining the rest of the country whilst rewarding the foreign bankers who they hope to woo..........

That is my moan for today:  Good things that happened this week.

Peace - The Chelmer River

My daughter and Andrew are having a good time in Switzerland, yesterday moved up to the mountains, it looks pretty rugged.  A friend has been sending me photos of the new excavation at King Arthur's Hall on Bodmin Moor.  I wonder if this tantalising site will ever reveal its secret.  I reckon multi-use over the centuries and there won't be any bog bodies in the pool that lies at its heart. (Or King Arthur's sword!)

When the cows come down from the mountain summer pastures to overwinter in the barns in Switzerland

                                      ----------------------------------------------------


11 comments:

  1. I agree totally with your 'moan for the day' and thank you for that lovely last photograph which comforts me in the knowledge that things go on for generations. Maybe I am burying my head in the sand but the only way I survive at present is to concentrate on the few good things we have. I can't think of anyone in a position of power at present who is interested in doing anything for the poor and needy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo of the cattle coming down is as always a good reminder that the seasons of the year are acknowledged Pat. The conservative party's lack of compassion in its upper echelons is wicked.

      Delete
  2. I want a royal heated blanket too. Rip off the north! Next, they'll be stealing our water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered why the pressure had dropped on our water Tasker ;)

      Delete
  3. The ones I feel badly for ate the folk who have never learned to be thrifty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thrift of course was part of the spirit after the last war in this country, it is always sold as a virtue. But today people are used to having what they want and it is going to be a big shock.

      Delete
  5. I was raised on thrifty and unheatd bedrooms and cold houses. The new generation will learn thrifty or literally go broke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the children that are suffering though Joanne. Going to school without breakfast, even the food banks are beginning to run dry as donations become less.

      Delete
  6. We went to our usual restaurant last night (unusual to eat out these days) and they were horribly short staffed. The manager said that Brexit was solely to blame and every time they tried to employ young British people they were useless. In France, being a waiter is an important job, sometimes for life. Here it is a stop-gap gigging job. Brexit was one component in a perfect storm, but it was a huge one. In three months time there will be so many places going out of business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brexit was the worst mistake they made. The trouble with the government is that they think we can live off their promises, the reality is just beginning to come home. Sadly we will sink into the waves, bit like the Titanic really ;( There is some hope for waiters/waiteresses. Lillie, my granddaughter, can run up and down stairs with three plates balanced on her arm, no mean feat. And she is learning to be a barista as well but this is just a fill-in like you said.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!