Thursday, September 8, 2022

On this day


Today an era is coming to an end.  The Royal family are gathering at Balmoral for what I suppose is the final time for the Queen.  Did she know, when she made her way to Scotland that this is the place she would like to leave from.  I hope that this is a peaceable time for the family and that the Queen slips away quietly, her presence will be sadly missed.

Also in this house an era is coming to an end.  Teddy, the old whippet is going to the vet and won't be coming back.  My two granddaughters have consented to this happening, though Lillie has felt it badly.  But this evening she is off to scouts and then drama which should take her mind off it.  I admire my daughter for bravely taking Teddy on the bus to Manchester to the vet.  She says she will hold his paw to the end which softened the blow for Lillie.

Yes I am also very sad, though will be glad not to clean up after him.  But will miss my coffee with Teddy in attendance waiting for his helping of teabread.  Will not miss him howling in the night, we think that altzeimer had set in, but in his rather brainless way was part of the family.

Lillie who is now attending Rochdale College, coming home tired, told a little story about Matilda. She had had to introduce herself in class and the teacher picked up that Lillie was Matilda's sister.  The cleverest pupil in her year, I asked Lillie did it worry her having to keep up with her sister.  Of course not she replied she wasn't a bit worried.

All 'A's proud granny says it is inherited!

The Queen has died.  God rest her soul. X





9 comments:

  1. Rest in peace Teddy and Elizabeth. I hope someone was holding Elizabeth's hand too. Truly the end of an era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. Queen Elizabeth II was an amazing woman and leader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about Teddy. I'm also sorry about the queen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all going to miss The Queen. Sorry too about Teddy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our little world is covered here. Sorry about Teddy, God Speed, Queen Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about Teddy's demise. That's a long way to go to the vet and on the bus too.

    I didn't expect the Queen to leave us quite so soon - I think we normally expect a longer bedridden decline. She leaves very big shoes for Charles to step into. At 73 most people would want to be living a quieter life but now he has to step up to the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone, it was strange how the two events came together. The Queen has been in our lives since childhood, commemoration mugs and half crowns given out at our schools. She was the one sane beacon in our lives rising above the pettyiness of politics. Her funeral will be one of the last great events, the carriages will make their way slowly pulled by beautiful horses, the bands will play and the soldiers will march in exact precision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely grandchildren. I am so sorry about the loss of your special friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain amount of rivalry between them but when they stop fighting they are great friends. Missed Teddy today, I am sure I can feel his presence around though.

      Delete

Love having comments!