Sunday, September 25, 2022

Just filling space

 I don't need to watch ordinary television, I can find everything I want on the internet.  Have been watching the short environmental films of Waterbear, then Ian Hislop this morning and last night when I couldn't sleep Dudley Moore and Peter Cooke.  It was Y/P with his duo comedians that sent me off to find Dudley Moore, mostly to find if they were as funny as I remembered them.  Sort of ish especially their flights of fancy as they drink beer and tell each other of finding naked female film stars in their respective beds when they come back from the pub. The stories getting taller by the minute.

Humour has come a long way, and there are certain things you can't make a joke of (and if this government has its way, no poking fun at them as it will become criminalised). But we were raised on satire, That Was the Week that was, immediately comes to mind.  Then the Goons, Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks, they still resound down through the decades.

We had to get up early (and dressed) for a 7 0 clock morning delivery from Morrisons.  The gradual increase in prices are beginning to show, though how olive oil has reached the grand figure of £7 plus, when Lidl's price is still at £3.69 is a mystery.  Such things can be easily given up, after all there is always pressed rapeseed oil on the same shelf.

An enormous slow cooking pot has appeared from the basement,but when there is only three of us it will difficult to fill.  I can't see my family indulging in casseroles either, especially as we don't eat meat. we are still waiting for one of the men, who have promised but do not turn up to make some more shelving for the basement.  





10 comments:

  1. John Cleese could have been in The Tiller Girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes his long legs would have been fine for high kicking.

      Delete
  2. My sense of umour seems to have stuck around ten years ago - I rarely find anything funny these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well weirdly Pat I find a lot of things funny around me. The comedians not so much but the world has plenty of stuff to keep me amused, especially animals.

      Delete
  3. Ah, tv when it was good, and clever humour, not smut. We fell about watching a programme about Les Dawson recently, and even Lovejoy this week took us back to a gentler age, when we were going to our favourite Dorset auctions - just like some that Lovejoy went to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jennie, Lovejoy had that gentle touch and the minor characters were chosen well. Soft English countryside, though the films were beginning to fade at the edges.

      Delete
  4. I have only Netflix, and am finding little joy in The Crown this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I've watched it Joanne, difficult to capture a past life, I actually liked the history of the Queen's sister, Princess Margaret. Two sisters, and one in charge of the other even in adult life.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen that for 50 years and it still makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A mixture of surreal and complete anarchy I think Tom.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!