Thursday, September 15, 2022

A Zen meditation

Probably my most favourite words below for it conjures up an image of water flowing for evermore......

Clearing the mind and sliding in
to that created space,
a web of waters streaming over rocks,
air misty but not raining,
seeing this land from a boat on a lake
or a broad slow river,
coasting by.

Yesterday I listened to two writers who I like.  Wendell Berry and Gary Snyder, both American as you can tell by the names.  They chatted easily about their books and poems, and of course their lives.

Snyder had lived in Japan for sometime and had married a Japanese wife but then he returned to America and built a homestead.  Can you imagine doing that in Britain for goodness sake, with the great letter of the law finding a thousand reasons not to build.  I fancy a 'tiny home' and often look at videos where people live quite happily with less but create a home both practical and beautiful.  Much easier to do in the outbacks of Australia, New Zealand and America though.

Six Persimmons


Snyder mentioned 'The Six Persimmons' a very famous thirteenth century painting by a Chinese monk called Mu Qui, it is in Kyoto.  It is drawn with blue-back ink, the brush stroke must be accurate as it touches the paper.  Reminded me of the recent event of the pen that covered King Charles fingers with ink and put him  in a bad mood, well Mu Qui used his brush with a greater skill.

As a drawing its symbolic message and understanding of it can be found in this short wiki on it and also in the video which I shall put on below.  For it is simplistic, until you start to study it.

Paul had introduced the painting to me, as he did the following mantra, which I found on one of my blogs.  The old Buddhist prayer book is featured in this blog.  The Four Vows.


Prayer or mantra, it is simple.

I have never studied Buddhism, I think of it as a state of  'not being' which some would say is a state of death but than others would say that our dust melds with the dust of everything else and becomes part of the Universe.




7 comments:

  1. When we were much younger my first husband and I were very interested in Buddhism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a very popular religious draw from the 60s on Pat. I have problems with taking on other religions which are not part of our cultural heritage. There again I move between atheism or agnosticism on a daily basis ;)

      Delete
  2. I guess at this point in my life, I don't know what I believe. I do believe, however, that it is important to understand what others believe. It gives me a better understanding of them. Buddism is not so much a really a religion as far as leading people to ponder the existance of a God outside themselves. It allows them to ponder what exists inside themselves, and that is not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Debby, the rote learning of the Catholic church taught me that.

      Delete
    2. Wait! What? I am intrigued. How did you learn that from Catholicism? From all I know of them, it is all about turning you away from independent thought.

      Delete
    3. I was educated in a convent Debby ;) I think you twisted my words around slightly or I wrote it wrong. Rote learning was the catechism I had to learn by heart. Put me off religion for life.

      Delete
  3. I think I misunderstood. I thought that you were saying that rote lessons led you down a path of self discovery.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!