Tuesday, September 27, 2022

27th September 2022

Today I came across a memory.  Trapped in the music of Mary Chapin Carpenter below.  Two memories of course, for Joan Baez joins her at the beginning of the video and we are once again living in the 1960s amongst the tumult of those times.  I will return to the tumult of present times somewhere in the future, as the whole horror show plays out.

'Stones in the Road', music we played in the car as we went on our visits of Essex churches, and found the old stones gathered round churches, and under them of course.  Pudding stone is one of the geological stone you can find in Essex, a messy cake of pebbles concreted together.... Whether the stones were prehistoric is not sure but it was fun to wander.



Probably used as a reinforcing layer for the flint stonework

Reuse of Roman tile at corner

Ulting church near Chelmsford



Protruding stone Broomfield Church

It was Ingatestone that caught my eye on TMA and I remembered those two stones that sat strangely on either side of the road. Paul had also captured the stone outside, or across the street from the cottage in Flowergate in Whitby  Here.

The London Stone is somewhat difficult to find, especially as most of it resides inside a shop, and its provenance may be no more early than Roman times.  There is of course the long wild Celtic tale told of Bran the Blessed, whose head was taken to London to ward off invasion by the French, and somehow I always get the story of the stone and Bran's talking head mixed up.

I seem to have strayed from the music but there are so many memories brought on by listening it is difficult not to record them.




Inigo Jones - Stonehenge (Gutenberg)

Relief!  There is a reality show to find another prime minister, perfect timing by Channel 4 at 9.15  Make Me Prime Minister

6 comments:

  1. I loved when we were at Graduate, I wondered aloud where the stones from the old house went. My son in law said that they would have been carted off and reused in the town.
    The history of your country is writ in stone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also of course in the old buildings the type of stone will come from nearby quarries and give a harmony to villages Debby.

      Delete
    2. I see that AC changed Bradgate on me. Sorry I did not take the time to reread.

      Delete
  2. Yes Debby, auto texting has problems. I watched (with delight) a video the other day, and the interpretations made me giggle. Ms Truss = mistrust!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!