Thursday, December 29, 2022

29th December 2022

 Gone:  Photos of the two Londoners getting on the train yesterday, off to their work life, flats that spring leaks and the heating refuses to work.  Tom also, though he will be back in January with Ellie for a meal.

Hits:  Whenever I get a bit controversial, the hits roll in - hello out there ;)

I often wonder whether to be the old me or a new me.  For a start I get cross about 'deniers'. They say,  It's not really so bad or it will all drift away, part of history, etc, etc.  So should I spare your ears from my pointing out negative news or should I say it as I see it?

Shall I sit back and mooch around flowers, garden, megaliths, and holiday places.  My daughter is going off on a Spanish holiday tomorrow with Andrew, Lillie has just asked me if I want a cup of tea - there is a story to this.

I have a birthday next week, and I said no more presents, but I would like to go out for a meal to a place where they cook the most delicious meals of aubergine in Hebden Bridge, that was one request, the other that someone should bring me in a cup of tea (early) on the day.  It is 10.30 a.m at the moment and I am just drinking my mid morning coffee!

Read an interesting article by Gaby Hinsliff about listening rather than reading books, which I have been doing the last few months.  I have a well stocked library on Audible at the moment, but it does turn out a tad expensive.  You pay £7.99 for one book a month, then I often purchase another 6 books during the month, which amounts to £36. 

I listen because then I can do something else at the same time.  I can still read of course but it take valuable time!  Less news would be my New Year resolution.  More funny stuff, like someone on Tod Chat mentioning a mattress that had been chucked on the verge.  Some wit asked if it was a memory mattress and the conversation went on.........


21 comments:

  1. Our library has an app for listening to books so it isn't expensive at all. Of course, the property taxes on our homes includes a chunk for the local libraries so we are all paying in a way. Do you belong to a local library? You should check to see if they have books to listen to for lending out.
    Post whatever is on your mind, Thelma. I always find you interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure the library has an app Ellen, but they do have audio (good wordle starting word) books, choice limited though and I am not sure what to play them on.

      Delete
    2. Our library offers books to listen to online and the book is downloaded to a patron's laptop or computer...

      Delete
  2. If you want loads of hits just mention that you think Jeremy Clarkson is a lovely man that simply says what the rest of us are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (You will get more people agreeing with you than against around here.)

      Delete
    2. Miaow Tom, He is a loud mouthed self-seeking idiot is Clarkson. Playing at life on the farm. Also I have never read him because I don't take those kind of newspapers!

      Delete
    3. My thoughts exactly on Clarkson!! Jan Bx

      Delete
  3. Please continue to post as usual, Thelma; I thoroughly enjoy reading your interesting take on life, controversial or otherwise. It wouldn't do if we all spoke solely about 'safe' subjects - how boring! A better plan would be for some of your readers to state their own thoughts without turning it into an argument - just agree to disagree. Long live healthy debate, eh? Happy New Year, Thelma. - Rosemary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary for that. You are right we all think differently, and as long as we don't argue but put opposite points of view logically, blogland should work out fine. And a Happy New Year to you. x

      Delete
  4. Carry on just as you are - just as everywhere else in life we all have our views and beliefs. How boring blogland would be if we all thought the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are very open-minded as well Pat, so I will just jot down my thoughts in the morning as always.

      Delete
  5. I think of a blog as life viewed from your perspective. This means that your opinions will creep in. So? I think it is high time that this world took note of the fact that no one dies from listening to a different opinion. Some might disagree with you. These are not 'trolls'. These are people with different opinions. Let them comment. Reply if you feel that it is warranted. Don't be bothered by it, though. Be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always Debby reams of sense in what you say.

      Delete
  6. Please continue to post as you do at present - your posts are always interesting, frequently thought provoking. I and others will not always agree with you but provided that we remain on friendly and civil terms that is all to the good. We all need these challenges to our preconceived ideas!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Will I got quite scared of you but now see you as a person who needs converting to my way of thinking. My grandfather said to me one day, if someone tells you that black is white, you immediately argue that it is white, knowing all the time that it really is black. All viewpoints must come into the equation I believe.

      Delete
  7. Just testing as my comments won't publish....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I seem to have finally sorted it. Hurrah! You seem to be inhabiting the same head space as me. I love your thought provoking posts and had not thought of Audible but it could be perfect for gardening and listening to a book. Thanks. Your living arrangements sound a perfect combination of sociable and supportive. Love Jan Bx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, glad you managed to sort yourself out. I am not sure if Google 'polices' our blogs. lots of people are having trouble on commenting, etc. Glad you took up the idea of listening to books, it is quite calming as well.

      Delete
  9. I'm not trying to be anonymous I just haven't completely cracked signing in to comment via google account! All caused by complete computer rest recently. JanBx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Say it as you see it my friend... I have no idea how old you will be next week. Thirty? Sixty? I hope that you get to Hebden Bridge for that meal. And now I am heading for your previous "controversial" post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not very controversial Niel just get cross at things, chuckle. Also see the funny side of life at the same time sadly.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!