Wednesday, December 7, 2022

7th December 2022

Monotonous monologues:  What is that? the ceaseless round of words that potter through your mind.  We are supposed to be worried about the coming festive holiday, yet there are so many other worries to cope with for people. 

Yesterday I phoned my son to say that a parcel was on the way to him, I should have checked of course that he wasn't going over to the Isle of Man.  He has taken on a short term contract for one of the big insurance companies that fly offshore and work elsewhere.  He regularly flies out there to work, though computers as we all know can be worked from home.  Luckily he is home this week in Bath.

The weather is about to change, this morning minus -1% though it always says that in fact it feels much colder, so why don't they use that figure to greet us each morning I wonder.  I am told by my daughter to keep my oil fired radiator on, she doesn't want to come back to a 'frozen corpse'. So down to earth in our household.

My electric throw is a godsend, though one has to be careful at not tripping over the electric cord, our NHS services are being pushed to their limits, ambulances stuck in the emergency waiting areas with patients on board and there is an argument that they will never recover from this winter.

I am trying to be good and not sarky at how this country spirals into chaos and confusion.  Except it doesn't because there is enough good people around to help out.  Notice on Tod Chat, someone has just offered the £100 credit on his smart meter to anyone who wants it, as he has had to change his supplier.

Exciting news: "I was looking through a rubbish pit when I saw teeth"

A bed burial around  650 AD, with a beautiful necklace though not shown, will go on a hunt for it, I should think it is in the Museum of London.  I have already written about the Loftus Saxon bed burial here.  There was a transition phase from pagan to Christianity, shown in the Prittlewell burial.  


This is a little mock-up I made of the Prittlewell burial.  It is made in 1/12th and apart from the silverware I made everything myself.  Pretty proud of the little Roman chair which was hinged.  You can see next to the horned drinking cups a small gold cross and the occupant of the bed had another on his chest.  The leather bags were made from a leather purse.

14 comments:

  1. Very exciting find in Northamptonshire. The sort of thing my son would have liked to find - but never did, and now he is "management" he doesn't even get to dig anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is security in management Sue. Shame they did not show a photo of the necklace. Jewellery at that time was beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I am impressed with your burial reproduction. 'Frozen corpse'. That made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain element of 'down to earthness' in my family Tom. I loved making miniatures, one I did of Farleigh Hungerford castle chapel. The person who looked after the ruin had a lovely story. It was about the two little children's coffin down in the crypt. She stayed down there one night and one of the little girls appeared in a dream saying she was cold. Believe it or not.

      Delete
    2. I was at the Farleigh Hungerford pub the time when a woman was locked into the crypt with the lead coffins all night for charity many years ago. I believe some children were killed there once. The castle always struck me as strange, in that it is overlooked by all the hills, when most castles are on top of them.

      Delete
    3. Must be the same woman Tom. I remember the trout farm as well, sure it has been sold on because of its pretty cottage.

      Delete
  3. Who is it who says we are supposed to be worried about Christmas? I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, don't be so pedantic. In my household we work out what is to be eaten, how many people are coming, what presents they want. I expect it happens in every household. I have stopped worrying, because normally my presents come in the form of money, so people can get what they want. X

      Delete
    2. Oh I see. Living alone and not having any Christmas plans renders it not obvious to me. It was the word "supposed" that threw me. I'll leave you alone again in future.

      Delete
    3. Well perhaps you took it the wrong way Rachel, words have a way of striking each one of us differently. But I hope you have a good Christmas with your brother and family. x

      Delete
  4. Busy at this end but not worried as whatever goes wrong will be far less worse than what is happening elsewhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are not worried Tabor, I hope you have a good Christmas. x

      Delete
  5. I love your little diorama. And I even looked it up to be sure of meaning and spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the word Joanne that escaped me - diorama - thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!