Friday, December 9, 2022

9th December 2022 - Mary Cope

Silbury Hill


I looked out of the window this morning for snow - soft, silent snow, so sibilant said my mind laughing at the thought.  Well there is a slight glaze of ice outside but I expect there will be plenty soon up on the moors.  Next I idly wandered through my blogs, taking delight in the memories brought back and of course also a certain sadness.  


But to follow the sound of 's' I thought of Silbury Hill and how at one stage Paul wanted his ashes scattered over this ancient monument.  He later changed his mind and wanted them buried in the garden of the cottage in Normanby,  I had a Xmas card from a friend who lived in the village yesterday with news of its inhabitants, not all good.

Kuradani


I pottered through the London blog and remembered Mike Pitts exhibition of Stonehenge.  Then I came across the 'Awbury' essay I had written for The Heritage Trust.  It was interesting following the life of Oliver Cope and family from Avebury over the sea to America and seeing how they fared in the 'new' country.  Mary Cope's pretty poem-Awbury  to our Avebury village here in England.

I have strayed many miles from what I was going to write but there we go and it is time for coffee.



8 comments:

  1. A hoar frost and a few flakes of snow here, so not too bad just cold. I can think of worse places to have your ashes scattered than Silbury Hill, but Paul obviously truly loved your Yorkshire home and felt he belonged there. I remember your excellent Awbury piece. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Paul Devereux writing trying to make the Silbury top line up with the landscape around. A theory I did not believe, as water is the main focus of its presence in the landscape Jennie.

      Delete
  2. It's nice when one's blog can bring old memories, experiences and ideas back to life. Silbury Hill is the most wondrous thing I have seen this year but I wish I had ignored the signs and climbed to the top to look out upon that ancient landscape that we can only partially understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Egyptian pyramids to whatever took your fancy, theories roamed around it. There was a central heap of soil at the centre and they analysed the plant material all very familiar to today, there was even a honeysuckle 'string'.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading your essay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to fish you out of the 'sin bin' Tom. But it is up there in blue starting with Awbury essay - if you want to read it .
      https://theheritagetrust.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/awbury-and-the-cope-family-from-avebury/

      Delete
  4. Cold up here but glorious sunshine all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sun, it often only makes an appearance around lunchtime, the joys of living in a valley Pat.

      Delete

Love having comments!