Friday, December 30, 2022

Recollections


Yesterday a late Xmas card arrived in the post.  It was a dear friend from the village.  I haven't talked about the village because leaving it was a great loss in my life.  As the pandemic went on I was alone for the two years in the house.  But I had my little feral cat to feed, and Lucy to walk plus two little bantams  Then Lucy had a stroke, and that was the end for her, I found a place for my little cat and then the  bantams up at this farm where we are holding a barbecue.
When Rosalie came with her husband and the Range Rover and truck, it was as if a part of my life always having animals had gone.  Apart from the fact I had spent a fortune on the housing and runs but I had loved having my two little bantams running around the lawn followed by the cat who seemed to have fallen in love with them.  Lucy ignored them as she ignored Green Eyes the cat and any other animal that came into the garden.
J had told me of the death of someone's wife across the road from the cottage.  Then I remembered how N had figured in our lives.  Gentle and kind he would look after my hens if we went away.  He had a little menagerie of his own, he had about two acres of land, with several sheds which he was always mending. Several sheep, Jacobs I think, a couple of goats, hens and ducks and a big rescue dog. His land followed the road with a big hedgerow and often you would see him, his wheelbarrow placed firmly in the road, the stepladders out as he cut the hedge for 'browse' for his little flock.
In the morning when walking Lucy (who hated walking by the way) we would meet him a plastic bag over his shoulder, he had been collecting trimmings down where the willows grow  by the river.  Also yesterday someone had put a photo on F/B of the two otters they had spotted in the River Seven, which must be in a state of flood by now.
J also had a little animal kingdom, she and her husband were in their 80s, and had been together since children in India.  A mother feral cat had four kittens which she deposited in their barn and J adopted them and they still live in the barn, bushy tailed and healthy.  She also had a blind old sheep and an old pony called Charlie who would occasionally be harnessed to a cart for a ride round the country lanes.
J would come along to chat and we would discuss the plague of feral cats that seemed to have appeared over night in the village.  I managed to catch three for neutering but it was not easy.
Green eyes of course settled down in the smallholding she went to, two dogs and another cat and settled in quite comfortably to a 'tame' life.


Chasing 🦋 
I realised when I read the card how I had pushed a great part of my life away with the people I had known in the village, the barbecue which was held up in the barn, was organised by several of us.  I did money, which meant going round and selling tickets, making sure the number of people at the barbecue tallied with the money I had, yes maybe there were several free loaders.  The food was organised by someone else and the reason we had it up at the farm that year was because of the weather.

We organised three events a year, Paul loved it, often they took place in the pub, but I was always reminded by people that the barbecue had taken place on the small field on which our house had been built.

8 comments:

  1. Such a huge part of your life to leave behind, especially with all the memories of Paul tied to it, and the friends you made. One thing when you want to leave, quite another when you have to. I'm glad that friends are still keeping in touch though - perhaps your family could take you to one of the BBQ's in the summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see, though my ashes are going back there by the river! I did not sleep all night, and the memories came flooding back, could have written a novella about the village. Though not sleeping might have been more to do with my daughter and Andrew going off at 3.0 .am to Manchester airport. They have arrived safely this afternoon.

      Delete
  2. I tend to be on the practical side, and as a result, I do have a tendency to walk out of painful periods of my life, shut the door firmly behind me and simply not think on them again. My children are all grown now. I realize that by simply not looking back, I have 'lost' a great deal of their childhoods. It's a mixed bag, isn't it? But now I have grandchildren and finding that I am now opening that door a bit, allowing myself to remember those times once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I suppose the end was painful but it was a very good community to live in. We lived between the church and the pub at the lower end of the village, which was prone to flooding on the road.

      Delete
  3. Interesting that - if I get round to it - I am reminiscing today too. Pulls at the heart strings though doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is sadness Pat but also an exhilaration for the life lived. Jo and I shared a passion for animals.

      Delete
  4. One of the best parts of the holidays for me is getting cards from family and friends that I don't see often. Triggers memories of times long past that are always welcome. I have had so many happy times - when I look back I feel lucky to remember them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That of course is the pleasure of looking back Ellen, so much of life was enjoyed, there are breaks of sadness but we learn to live with them.

      Delete

Love having comments!