Sunday, December 18, 2022

"There is a crack in everything"

Repair work called Kintsugi on Hakimi tea bowl. 16th century

Ring the bells that still can ringForget your perfect offeringThere is a crack, a crack in everythingThat's how the light gets in

Yesterday whilst thumbing through the news I came upon one of those 'gasp of horror' items.  Someone was speculating on the Earth being split in two by a gigantic earthquake.  I thought of us all spinning out into space creating a mess of humanity, actually it made me smile for its nonsense.

Then I heard that a Christmas tree had been erected in a suburb called Bucha in Kyiv,  In the colours of yellow and blue of Ukraine, the lights run on a generator.  The sound you will hear in the town now, the engine noise of generators.  No water, electricity or comfort and yet still the Ukrainians fight on against a terrible dictator and his entourage of yes men.  It beggars belief in this day and age. I do not use false words to describe the terrible nature of war for it speaks for itself in all its cruelty.  Especially the training of conscripted Russian young men for the war. Certain death for some.

Such things glide through our days but also there is the gentler stuff of life going on.  

I also watched a delightful documentary of a Japanese old lady who still made sweets to sell at 95 years old. She would cycle off to the forests and hunt for the best bamboo leaves to wrap the red bean paste sweets in.  And would take extraordinary care over every aspect of her work.  She was coming to the end of this enterprise, there was sadness and yet acknowledgment of her coming end, though she laughed about whether she would live to a 100 years old.  Her son worried about her and had bought her a pair of red wellington boots so that if she fell amongst the trees the rescue party would find her.

I have watched a couple of documentaries and things are beginning to rationalise in my mind.  In Japan the old culture uses local natural things, bamboo which can be used for many things.   Their dyes have always seemed paltry to me, but minerals are used for Paul had a large collection of them.  Included of course would be several indigo plants up to the beautiful turquoise and pearls used in painting.

 A reminder that it is Paul's birthday today and a memory that in Shinto a rope is wound round a temple's sacred tree.  The ceremony is called Shimenawa

 

What I like is the reverence for trees in the Shinto culture.  Apparently they are seen as linking to the spirit world and  you commune with them.  There is a book about the old trees of Britain,  Thomas Pakenham - Meeting with Remarkable Trees.  He has also written of other trees in the world, we do not really respect trees in this country.  Often seen as a nuisance an cut down if they happen to be in the way, we use them as show pieces in a garden or as timber.  Perhaps more respect would help nature thrive more.  Especially leaving the late flowering ivy that garland a tree, useful pollen in the  autumn for bees.

So just gathering thoughts, I end up with Leonard Cohen's words in 'Anthem'


Lyrics
The birds they sang
At the break of day
Start again
I heard them say
Don't dwell on what has passed away
Or what is yet to be


And lastly, the  Hare Bell,  Frailest of flowers yet to be found in most places, high up on the moors or down in the meadows.  Magic is in everything..
Which led me to look up a flower I used to see on the Somerset downs, the harebell, belonging to my favourite group of flowers the Campanula or bellflowers, and with such a name plenty from Grigson on this delicate pale blue flower of summer.
"Bluebell of Scotland or not, it was also the Old Man's Bell, the devil's bell, which was not to be picked, the Witch Bell, the Cuckoo's Thimble, and in Gaelic the Cuckoo's Shoe, brog na cubhaig. In Ireland this fine etched plant is sometimes mearcan puca ,  thimble of the puca* or goblin and it was a fairy plant in the South-West of England and of course the hare" (which has so much folklore and is also an Easter/witch animal).  The Englishman's Flora - Geoffrey Grigson.

17 comments:

  1. A very thoughtful post Thelma, as ever. I recall the book "Meetings with Remarkable Trees". It makes me think how us humans work on such differing levels - some have a spiritual side which guides them, and at the other end of the spectrum are those whose baser instincts take the lead. No humanity in them.

    Leonard Cohen had it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jennie from A to Z the human chain has a lot of personalities to figure out. Perhaps if we all became rooted to the ground like a tree we would not be so destructive.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post today Thelma I lovethe harebell I love the hare - my favourite animal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you do Pat and the hares will soon be boxing again!

      Delete
  3. I'm all for the Earth being split in two as long as all the violent headcases can be on the other half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you split the Earth in two it would not rotate John. And if I was not so literal, the bad lot would make sure to get to the good lot.

      Delete
  4. Leonard Cohen was a great poet and wrote beautiful songs. One of favourite songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His music has accompanied me through a long part of my life, and as you say he is more the poet and philosophist in his writing.

      Delete
  5. I watched a documentary about an elderly Japanese man who was quite wealthy and retired, but he could not stand doing nothing so he became a car park attendant. His job was to run around all day, ushering cars into available spaces, non-stop. He was happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the secret of a long life Tom, always working and of course being optimistic and accepting the world as it is I wonder.

      Delete
  6. Deep thoughts in your post today. I have a favorite tree that I like to hike to. It has a large burl shaped like an ear on its trunk and I call it my listening tree. I can tell it my thoughts and troubles when no one is around. In the same forest is my favorite flower in the Spring - the bluebells - and the forest fields are covered with them. I watch for them every Spring..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgive me if I am wrong Ellen but you live in America, if so are your bluebells similar to our English ones? My special tree was the Ash tree with its nine leaflets up on the Bath downs.

      Delete
    2. I live in Naperville, Illinois and our bluebells look like this:
      https://plants.thegrowingplace.com/12120014/Plant/2829/Virginia_Bluebells/

      Delete
    3. Very pretty and a beautiful shade of blue. My first thought looking at the bell shape was of our plant called Lungwort or Pulmonary, early flowering and good for bees. Then on reading up on it found out that both belong to the family of boraginaceous plants, though the Virginia bluebell does not have the spotted leaves but that indigenous Indians also used it for pulmonary problems.

      Delete
  7. Very deep thoughts today, and oddly comforting to me...the world in all its brokenness does have the light of beautiful souls shining through the cracks. I believe you to be one of them, Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that is a lovely thing to say Debby but sadly not true. My soul needs a great deal of work done on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No soul is 'finished', Thelma, not until we breathe our last. We spend our lives enriching and refining. You are a good soul troubled by what you see around you. That alone indicates you have a good heart.

      Delete

Love having comments!