Sunday, December 11, 2022

11th December 2022 - The Boar's Head

Christmas Carols;  Listening to the religious programme this morning and a favourite singer of mine came on.  Kate Rusby, a Yorkshire lass I think.  But I did not choose her, I chose my  favourite carol - The Boar's Head, though it was a toss-up between Steeleye Span's rendition and the one I chose, which is down below.

The second one I chose was 'Hunter Moon' sung by Kate Rusby.  The moon has many names, just like snow, to those who live with snow.  I love the idea of the moon yearning for the sun.  Wake up early one frosty morning, as it becomes light and see both the moon and the sun occupying the sky at the same time.  

Often when I went for a walk on Bath Down, I would see this, and one of the artifacts in a Bronze Age barrow in the barrow field on Lansdown was a 'sun disc', a reminder that the sun is part of this Earth's history, in as forever.

I could see the long dead leader of this small group of people living outside the marshy outskirts of Bath (yet to be made into a Roman centre for its hot springs) holding it up to the sky, in gratitude as the cold winter turned over to the warmer time of spring.  As we celebrate Christmas they also celebrated in their own way.

The magic of one frosty morning coming across a flock of golden plovers resting in the field in that 'golden light' that happens so briefly morning and evening. 




ref: Sun Disc






 '

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No I don't think so. Could have been because there were other so called 'sun discs' found at Monkton Farleigh which is near his site (can't remember here, but was it around Rainbow Wood? Or it could be author's license to stretch the truth. Never read his book though Tom.

      Delete
  2. What an intriguing history. Glad that you keep following.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thinking of the idea that the same sun that shines on me now shined down on every single predescessor I can lay claim to. I have never heard the Boar's Head Carol, but am off to google more about it. Thanks, Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Debby, it is a very robust song I think.

      Delete
  4. Love the Kate Rusby song. I am used to Maddy Prior singing the Boar's Head, I have to say, but it made a change to hear a male voice singing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen very occasionally to Kate Rusby she has a particular way of singing and writing her songs though. I suppose we can play anything on our computers with all the stuff on You tube Jennie.

      Delete
  5. I learned The Boar's Head carol in my teens--I suspect I was intrigued by the Latin chorus as I was struggling with the complexities of that language. There are several alternative melodies in my recently acquired Oxford Book of Carols. I'm sure I wouldn't like to be served a boar's head--roasted? Apple in mouth?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well when I was a child Sharon my grandfather cooked a pig's head and made the resulting meat into brawn. It was quite pretty with cut hardboiled eggs in the translucent jelly but I doubt I ate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate Rusby has the most beautiful voice. We saw her live at St. Albans Arena some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I quite like some of her old ballads Frances, but have nothing to play my CDs on sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Boar's Head is one of my favourites too

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!