Friday, December 16, 2022

Miscellany

Another external hard disk came in one of the boxes, and it is still working, so what to write today.  Maybe how to make miniature hats.  In Bath there was a marvellous toyshop called Tridias, I doubt if it exists now and one year I bought a little wooden shop from there.

Furnishing it was not difficult but I decided to make a hat shop.

How: first you need coloured felts. wallpaper glue and a screwdriver handle of the appropriate head.  Fashion the felt on the knob of the handle and cover it with the wallpaper glue.  Let dry, and then sort through all your 'bits and pieces' to decorate the hat.  Mine has budgerigars feathers picked up from Victoria Park, where they had an enclosure of the birds.


Notice the layer of dust!


Such things as craftwork probably kept high blood pressure at bay, as spinning does today.

The weather continues cold, my daughter has flu and is at home, so she doesn't have to face transport difficulties to Manchester.  A down pipe in the bathroom seems to have frozen (minus -7% the other night) so we can't have showers  The Aga would have been turned on for Xmas, but guess what it needs a part and what with the parcel disarray it hardly looks like it is going to make it to the plumbers this side of the holiday.


10 comments:

  1. Such tiny and precise craftwork would probably only serve to RAISE my blood-pressure, I'm afraid. I'm quite happy to just admire your handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really John, the challenge of working things out absorbs the mind.

      Delete
  2. That hat shop would have been delight to any child for Chistmas buy I doubt toys like this exist any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I am the child creating these things Pat, a need to be always active I think.

      Delete
  3. What a fancy hat shop you put together! Did you collect a lot of miniatures? What will you do with this now? Is there a local museum that might want to add it to their collection? It is a sweet reminder of when women dressed up and wore fancy hats to match their outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all started Ellen when my first MiL gave me some old miniature silver chairs and table. I then bought a dolls house for my daughter but she wasn't interested. So it languished in the basement, with mice taking up residence. The dioramas starting to appear as I though of all the stories that are told.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear! Sorry to hear that your daughter has flu but at least she will have Sister Thelma to nurse her through the worst of it. Hattie Jacques Mark 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well things are looking up, she feels better and has been eating well. The bathroom pipe must have thawed out over night and the excellent plumber says if the sensor comes through he will fix it next week.

      Delete

Love having comments!