Sunday, December 4, 2022

4th December 2022

 A new phenomenon:  What you may ask?  Parcels, they almost arrive daily in this house and I have just rebelled, well in my head if not vocally yet - chuckle.  Those who order stuff should be responsible for their stuff.

Yes it is so easy to tip-toe through your phones and order what is on offer, thereby of course robbing the high streets shops (those that still remain of course) of sales, and further exacerbating their closures.

We are being programmed of course for this new wave of selling.  Lidl has a parcel receiving commodity in its car park and Morrisons an Amazon one in its foyer.  You just wave that marvellously magical phone in front with the correct app number and voila a door opens I suppose.

The rest of the world go hang, Western society still devours.  Ukraine wants generators to combat the oncoming cold winter amongst the gloom of shelled buildings, utilities of gas, electricity and water bombed into destruction by the Russians.

Rather than Russian oligarchs we should be keeping an eye on American oligarchy.  Slow but secretively creeping up on us for world domination of our shopping malls ;)

Note to delivery man, please remember to photo my distinctive pink slippers for proof you have been to the house.

Thanks to Debby for reminding me about parcels, none of ours by the way have gone astray, because we have kind neighbours.

12 comments:

  1. I agree totally with what you say Thelma but being disabled I have to shop on line. But about Ukraine - seeing an elderly Ukrainian lady on the TV this morning, standing in her drestroyed house, wearing all the outdoor clothes I do wonder what humanity has come to and does President Putin have such a thing as a conscience.as he seesnher trying to make a hot drink on a log fire - snow thick on the ground, tears pouring down her cheeks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ukrainian people are very courageous Pat, Putin's war games makes their resolve harder, even though we weep with them there is nothing much we can do. I am just as guilty about ordering stuff so I shouldn't worry too much, it just needs better organisation.

      Delete
  2. I try to buy from local shops as much as I can, and even though we have hundreds of shops here in Bath, most of them sell tat. The things I do need are either unavailable or 4 times the price as online. I was told by a courier that my parcel had been delivered once, so I went online to look at the photographic evidence. I found a picture of the huge double doors of the art gallery on the other side of the road. I went in to the gallery and they said they had no parcel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People of course nick parcels off steps occasionally, always video shots from front door cams. Perhaps in the end a central collection point is what is needed, there are several in our small town and Royal Mail always take the parcel back to your nearest post office.

      Delete
  3. I am trying this year to not order from Amazon and shop local instead. Some things are no longer available in my local area stores, tho. So far with a bit of searching, I have found what I have wanted. Luckily, I can search some local stores online so it saves me driving around too much. Then I can drive to the store to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping local is of course the way forward but with the cost of rent/rates on the high street, many shops do not make enough money to fund overheads. It is all a pickle Ellen.

      Delete
  4. Such a contrast. My heart breaks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rather than Amazon for books/CDs, why not use Blackwell's - they were still UK owned last time I looked, and competitive on price/availability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to order from Amazon Will, nothing infuriates me more than their push for Prime membershipmwhich I diligently avoid. Mostly I order from small booksellers. Blackwell is of course famous for its books.

      Delete
  6. Independent dealers, artisans, craftsmen will not soon find their was out of the price and volume depression forced on them by volume sellers, often of what Tom, above, terms "tat", from local shops and from low cost sellers on line,

    ReplyDelete
  7. True Joanne, there is a lot of rubbish out there vying for our attention but small crafts people and artists are able to advertise their wares through the internet which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!