Monday, December 26, 2022

Christmas Aftermath

It went brilliantly.  Food was right, the two girls only squabbled slightly and we wined and dined well.  Andrew brought his work hamper with its goodies and everyone watched movies, except me.

Presents were just right from all.  A jigsaw of Jackie Morris/Robert Macfarlane birds.   The latest book from Marina Hyde - What Just Happened?! these two from Tom. (do you read my blog Ellie;) and from my son Jenny Uglow's - Elizabeth Gaskell.  A pretty William Morris frame for photos and a 'bum' bag save me scrabbling to save my bag which always falls off my shoulder.  Chocolates galore, (I asked for them) and fudge from my son.  Laura Ashley made an appearance as well, I did not know the brand still went on.

I reduced people to helpless laughter when I struck out (quite seriously) on the latest fashionable colour - how can a granny know anything about fashion?  Mary Quant, Mary Quant was uttered with some derision, though the fashion for 70s clothes in this household is manifest, the wardrobes literally bulge with the stuff.

But I treated myself to wandering through dyed fleece to spin in the afternoon, and I came out with the deep red/aubergine/ mulberry colours - see Kate's coat at the Westminster Abbey Carol Concert a couple of days ago.  I am also intrigued by the soft brown/apricot/almost orange peach wool that has been created, though to be honest a quick look through the wool retailers and it is all sold out. Of course Rowan has the most expensive  yarn out, some of it beautiful.  Tried to explain to Andrew the textures of wool, a lot of jumpers have mixes of merino wool/silk/mohair or even alpaca, which can also be soft in baby alpaca.

Anyway he would like a jumper knitted in a sort of orangery wool, Ben wants one of his presents shortened, I should have kept my sewing machine of course.


There just has to be an edit: M&S sliced parsnips were a disaster.  Stringy, one had to chew hard and their swede/carrot mash was not loved by many.  

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed your Christmas celebrations! Mine went very well also and my youngest four grandkids were so excited throughout it all! I must confess that I am glad it is over and want to spend today just taking it easy as I really tired myself out!
    Now a New Year is upon us and I wonder what it will bring. Hopefully, Peace and Joy for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the Xmas festivities Ellen, young grandchildren can be a handful. The New Year will be what it will be of course but wishing you and your family the best for this coming year.

      Delete
  2. Oh, it sounds like wonderful fun! You know, I do not consider myself a 'watcher' of all things royal, but when you talked about Kate's burgundy/mulberry coat, I immediately thought, "Yes. That one was nice, but I really do love the deep green one with the black collar." I guess that I am a lot more attuned to them and their lives than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Debby it is the play of balance between the two brothers. The two in America and William and Kate here in England. She has such a tall slender shape Kate for her clothes that a lot is made of what she wears. A lot of fuss is being made of them both to counterbalance all the speculation of the Netflix series and the book ;)

      Delete
  3. So the wives look to each other and are used to counterbalance the netflix series and the book. Could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William and Kate are being groomed for their royal state later on Joanne, it is going to be hard for king Charles and Camilla to be much better than the Queen, she fulfilled her role superbly of course. The royal family are going through one of those 'annus horriblis' moments as Harry and Meghan unleash their hurts on the public. All very petty.

      Delete

Love having comments!